Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 09-12-2015, 11:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 x-10
Cockpit vs Tower speakers

I was noticing that my tower speakers are JL audio 7" tower speakers and my cockpit speakers are 7" cockpit speakers. What is the difference between the two?
Old 09-13-2015, 12:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
I was noticing that my tower speakers are JL audio 7" tower speakers and my cockpit speakers are 7" cockpit speakers. What is the difference between the two?

The woofer in the Tower systems is optimized for small enclosure operation
Old 09-13-2015, 07:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 x-10
Meaning different power output or what, bc both speakers look identical with the exception of the model number and sticker color.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Ill go out on a limb based not on my knowledge of these particular speakers, but speakers in general. Where woofers are concerned, they are designed to have a specific volume of air for the enclosure they are in. I would assume the tower version is designed for a fairly small, sealed enclosure while the cockpit version would anticipate more volume and/or a non sealed environment (infinite baffle). Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2015, 10:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
^^^ Correct.
JL Audio is the only speaker builder to make a design and build distinction between a tower and cockpit coaxial speaker and they only presently do this in the 7" model.
The tower 'T' version is acoustic suspension, meaning the midbass driver is mostly damped/controlled via the rigid springiness of the trapped air mass in a very compact pod.
In contrast, the cockpit 'C' version is infinite baffle, meaning the midbass driver is damped via its own internal electromagnetic & mechanical mechanisms.
The 'T' version produces significantly more and deeper midbass in a tiny pod than would a 'C' version in the same pod. The 'T' version would have very little power handling and be especially vulnerable to damage if used in a cockpit infinite baffle application. So each has its unique properties and advantages in its own application. Monster benefits or each. But keep them separate.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Xstar
I can answer this one.

cockpit speakers designed for people that want to listen to their own music without pi$$ing everybody else off.
Tower speakers designed for people that want to listen to their own music and pi$$ everybody else off.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac505 View Post
I can answer this one.

cockpit speakers designed for people that want to listen to their own music without pi$$ing everybody else off.
Tower speakers designed for people that want to listen to their own music and pi$$ everybody else off.
CRAP!!! I wish someone would have shared that with me before I purchased all my tower speakers.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:56 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2011 X25, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac505 View Post
I can answer this one.

Well sir, my tower speakers are to make sure I don't have to listen to anyone's music but my own.

2011 X25-Wetsounds galore, GoSurfAssist equipped!
1985 S&S