Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-21-2015, 11:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1996, 3fiddy
Size matters...

When talking about speaker enclosures of course.

Had to pull out the sub in my new to me 205 while installing Perfect Pass tonight. The sub is mounted under the drivers dash, like most boats are nowadays. It was built into a sealed box that basically attaches to the backside of the drivers "kick panel" with the speaker firing at your feet. It was an older 12" Kicker Comp, nothing insane, but no slouch. As I was pulling it out I took some measurements of the enclosure they had it stuffed in. It was at best .75 cubic feet...that might cut it (almost) for a 10" Solo Baric, but not for a round 12" Comp needs at least a cubic foot, and can take advantage of much more space ideally.

Long story short...I had a Wal-Mart Kicker 10 in a properly sized box, from an ice chest project that never got off the ground, laying around in my garage. I mounted it up in the same fashion to my kick panel and reinstalled. Same settings, same amp...I swear the little 10" hits twice as hard, and it's definitely got the upper hand on clarity. Needless to say, I'll be running it for the remainder of the season.

Moral of the story, a smaller speaker in a proper setup, can out perform a larger speaker set up improperly. Do your homework.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 mastecraft maristar 225
I've been told that before. I ordered my speaker boxes off eBay sized to fit the speaker recommended enclosure
Old 07-23-2015, 02:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Mandatory "That's what she said!"