Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Uh, steel buildings?

I know this is waaaaay off topic but, I have looked at a couple houses with 40x60 pole buildings with concrete floors.

The one house I was kinda interested in had TWO 40x60 buildings but since they were just basic un-heated, uninsulated, unwalled steel shells built with wood frames....

Anyone know how much (ballpark) to turn a stick built pole barn covered with metal sheeting into an insulated building with metal walls?

Cj
Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 214V
Is there some reason you want studs in the walls? You could have it sprayed with foam insulation as it stands much cheaper than adding studs metal or wood and insulating. You would probably have a better insulated building just spraying it with foam but price varies drastically by location. I just had a 2500 sq foot home sprayed walls and ceilings for $5,000. I know some shops around here are done this way and some cover the sprayed insulation with a heavy plastic to provide some extra protection. You could add framing just in the areas you want extra support for hanging things etc.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
?

Expandable foam or blow in? I assume you mean expandable.

The studs/frame are preexisting. I would just add ply/particle board over it? Or metal?

I am ignorant about the whole deal... Didnt even think about the expandable foam. That may work.

Thx
cj
Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 214V
Expandable foam. here is a quick search of youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFjxWdPPY1Q but I thought you had a pole barn and it would not have studs which would be costly to add. Pole barns are supported by poles and usually only run a few 2x4's horizontaly to attach the metal siding and would be too far apart and turned the wrong way to attach insulation. If they already have studs you could just buy fiberglass insulation in a role and install it yourself much cheaper and then covering it with plastic or the cheapest material available would add extra sealing/r-value but wouldnt be required. Here is an example of fiberglass batts/roles and it is much cheaper than foam but not as efficient. http://www.jmhomeowner.com/insulatio...insulation.asp
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft, x45, 2005, 8.1L
Near Wichita the spray foam runs about $3/sf. What you will need to do is spray the foam insulation then run girts(2x material) on the inside of the post and then the inside metal. The metal runs about $2.25 per lineal feet which is equivalent to 3 sf. It should be about $1/sf to install metal and $1/sf to install and another $1/sf for materials and labor for girts. Where in Midwest are you
Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Not having pics to assess etc, I would consider metal studs, then either blow in or roll in some R-13 insulation, and cover the walls with either plywood or sheetrock. If you chose rock, then you could tape, mud, and prime/paint the walls for a nice shop. Run some conduit and/or gas piping for overhead heat and lights, and there you go, a sweet shop/man cave for all your toys etc. Fairly cheap, and can be done in s weekend or two, depending on available help, time, and experience.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
I would post that question on here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
Great forum about garages
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
Not having pics to assess etc, I would consider metal studs, then either blow in or roll in some R-13 insulation, and cover the walls with either plywood or sheetrock. If you chose rock, then you could tape, mud, and prime/paint the walls for a nice shop. Run some conduit and/or gas piping for overhead heat and lights, and there you go, a sweet shop/man cave for all your toys etc. Fairly cheap, and can be done in s weekend or two, depending on available help, time, and experience.
Thats what I would do.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2010 X2
I like spray-foam, but my building manufacturer does not recommend it against the metal as some formulations can cause corrosion. I am slowly getting mine insulated as time and $$ permit. I am framing out the walls with or 2x6 studs, hanging fiberglass batt insulation and covering it with OSB in some places and metal in others. Having the studs in place is definitely an added expense both in cost and time, but it allows me to mount things to the walls (shelves, material rack, etc.) I will use metal and blown-in insulation for the ceiling. Around here, metal runs about $1.90-$2.30/linear foot (3' wide panels).

If you are going to insulate the ceiling and there are trusses, be sure you know the load rating on the bottom chord. Too much weight hanging from those trusses and a big snow load can spell disaster.

GR
Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
You guys need to post some pics of your garages here.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...hlight=garages

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.