Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
Brake Problems on 2006 X-Star Trailer

My Trailer has no brakes on it now and was wondering where to start first, I have checked the fluid in the brake control up front and it does not look very clean so I think it might be contaminated with some water . I assume I need to take the brake control apart and check the cylinder and clean everything up and flush the lines out. Any tips you can give me will be great if any of you have had this problem
Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
Cut off the Reliable brand actuator and install a UFP.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyskiguy View Post
Cut off the Reliable brand actuator and install a UFP.
I went through this last year with my 2006 trailer and that's pretty much the only option since there are no Reliable actuators/parts available. I bought a UFP actuator and sleeve and went to town with the cutting torch, grinder and welder.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
I want this one! Anyone know if it will fit my 2005 MC trailer??

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
Thanks guys for the input, didn't want to have to go to that extent of cutting old one off but looks like there is no choice
Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
There is a good thread on trailer brakes in the Trailers section that I unfortuantley was a part of.

If the problem is in your actuator you may have little choice but to cut the tongue off your trailer and replace it with a UFP capable tongue and UFP actuator since Reliable brand doesn't exist any longer and parts are difficult to impossible to locate. If you did get water in your brake system, it's also possible your calipers have rust inside the mechanisms and are frozen.

In my case of water in the brake system, my calipers were fine, but I had to replace the tongue and actuator. If it matters I can go dig up an invoice, but I recall the total cost of the repair being somewhere around $600-700. I've heard similar costs from others. It's probably only $300 in parts and supplies if you can do the metal work yourself. I've heard it's simple, but my general rule is I never trust my safety to anything I built.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Before going that route (didn't know Relaible was gone, better go flush mine and try to preserve it) I'd try flushing and bleeding the brake system first. Takes a couple hrs and big bottle of brake juice only.
Also it may be as simple as the calipers are frozen in the open position. The mounting bolts that the caliper slides on rust and freeze up easily. My 06 trailer was froze up when I bought the boat in 09 and it sat in dry Las Vegas since new and only had been dunked a handful of times.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN