Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 02-23-2013, 01:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Jack / tools to have available when trailering...

Wondering what others have available when trailering their boats. We make many 1 hour trips during summer and then maybe one 5-8 hour trip. New boat is coming with spare tire, which my old did not, but that doesn't do any good if you can't jack it and have tools available. Obviously a large wakeboard boat and trailer can also exceed the capacity that a small scissor type jack might have.

Any suggestions on specific things to have around and also where to store them?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:55 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
If you have a tandum axle trailer you can take a 4X4 about 24" long with one end cut like a wedge. Just drive the good trailer tire up on the wood to raise the other tire off the ground. (loosen lugs first of course)

I take a bottle jack, breaker bar with some deep sockets to fit the lug nuts, gloves and an old towel to kneel on. (I also carry a tool box with assorted tools in case I have to remove a hub off the trailer, plus some 90W oil for the oil bath bearings.)
Old 02-23-2013, 02:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
In addition to the normal tire/jack and tools i carry a extra set of wheel bearings and the proper tools to change them. I would hate to ruin a boating trip because a $10 set of bearings that is exposed to moisture alot failed while driving.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

I would have NO idea how to change bearings. jerseydave - why do you take the jack if you use a 4x4? Where do you store all that stuff - in the truck or on the boat? Our truck is usually packed full of stuff and of course boat is as well.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
TT Hero

I've always carried a jack with me....overkill I guess. I keep everything in a box in the truck, not in the boat. The 4X4 is actually a more recent idea I got from someone on the forum.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
All depends upon what things you figure you might work on. I've had my hitch release give me problems so I even carry c-clip pliers because of that. If all you plan to work on is changing a tire - then jack, lug nut wrench, something to block the tire and a board to put under the jack in case you are on soft ground (typical road side shoulder). Don't assume your scissors jack in your tow vehicle works (or for that matter does not work). My scissor jack from my SUV lifts the boat just fine.

Some of us with tandems carry this - http://www.traileraid.com/. If you have one spare then I guess you would not be worried about two tires gone bad on one side (can happen if you run over something). You should still have a jack IMO.

I have all my basic boat tools in a small toolbox. When I'm working on the boat/trailer all (well most) tools go back into that box. That box goes into the tow vehicle before leaving the house, then into the boat as part of the top of ramp routine. This way I can at least change an impeller on the water if need be. There was a couple of threads posted a while back about basic tools to carry on the water that you might want to search for.

So with all the other stuff that gets carried along for our boat trips, taking the basic tool box is hardly a bother. I've used it more on other people's boats than on my own - good way to get on the water beers.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
If you have a tandum axle trailer you can take a 4X4 about 24" long with one end cut like a wedge. Just drive the good trailer tire up on the wood to raise the other tire off the ground. (loosen lugs first of course)

I take a bottle jack, breaker bar with some deep sockets to fit the lug nuts, gloves and an old towel to kneel on. (I also carry a tool box with assorted tools in case I have to remove a hub off the trailer, plus some 90W oil for the oil bath bearings.)
Mine's a single axle, but the last boat I had (not Mastercraft), was a tandem and 4" wasn't high enough to get the second wheel off the ground. The rocker assembly between the two sets of springs is designed to even the weight distribution between the wheels. Have you tried the 4 by 4 method with your trailer?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:10 AM
TT Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricford View Post
Mine's a single axle, but the last boat I had (not Mastercraft), was a tandem and 4" wasn't high enough to get the second wheel off the ground. The rocker assembly between the two sets of springs is designed to even the weight distribution between the wheels. Have you tried the 4 by 4 method with your trailer?
Actually I have not tried it yet, always used the jack. Good point, but carrying a couple extra blocks of wood should solve that problem. Or maybe something thicker than a 4X4.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Black Prostar 197 / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
For longer trips, besides items needed to change a tire, I carry C clamps and large Allen wrenches in case I need to free a brake. Came in use years ago when I had a brake hang up in the mountains.