Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Series, 30, 2008
BTS windshield option, any feedback or opinions, which one and why ??

Been looking at the BTS windshield option and want to see if anyone has gotten that option on their boat and what the likes and dislikes are for it's functionality and looks. We are looking at it for a 2013 X30.

If you aren't familiar attached below are several pictures. The first close up one is on an x 10, but was one of the better pics.

In some ways we prefer the more traditional, sleek lines of the standard windshield. And the additional billet aluminum frame makes for a pricey add on ($870 msrp)

As for the BTS it would seem to be nice for pulling into a boat slip or dock and having a bit more ability as the driver to reach out and hold the dock. We have also found in Texas that often the hottest spot on the boat can be the passenger seat as it doesn't get any airflow behind the traditional windshield and wonder if this BTS might provide a cooler summer option (of course fall and spring would be cooler but we don't have too much of that versus blistering summer days).

So, what is everybody's feedback or opinions, which one and why ??

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361604288.105793.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  89.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361604299.989091.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  26.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361604812.378988.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  67.8 KB
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft X25
From what I got at the Show was the BTS windshield is for a Barefoot Boom.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
My personal opinion on the design is that it looks incomplete. Not a fan, at least not on the larger boats. I think it would make more sense on something like a TT or 190 that's not going to see any open water. I would also worry about resale on a design cue that probably will not stick and will end up hurting resale down the line.

From a functional perspective and being from Michigan that side windshield cuts down on spray getting in the boat and also gives protection from the wind. As you state in Texas that may not be a big deal but I've seen a lot of MasterCrafts being sold across the country. If you plan to sell some day on the open market it may reduce the number of perspective buyers.

On the other hand it's going to be your boat and if you really like it and don't care about resale, go for it.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
I think you hit some of the key points...colder climates ppl go traditional because of it being warmer. Hotter, go BTS...beyond that docking, interacting with a downed rider and above barefoot boom.

Some other thoughts...

1. Floatillas - holding another boat at a distance.

2. Less glass to clean.

3. Easier to tint.

4. New style.

5. Ease to reach in and toggle the boat key to aux or off while standing on the trailer. Or to reach other items on the dash, perhaps remove the keys from the ignition.

All of the above considered, my situation and use cases demands the traditional windshield. Heat / wind blocking when cruising around in the evening and a short season.

Edit: spray comment +1

Wonder if you could put a small air director, like a clip on mirror, that would increase air flow in that area. Also wonder if there is a tint that would decrease the greenhouse effect the traditional windshield creates.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
I kinda like it. It has an old school Cris*Craft look to it. IMHO, Mastercraft has been a leader in boat style so more likely you'll see other companies copy it.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Past: 1986 MC 19 Skier; Nautique, 230, 2009, PCM 343; 2012 X-45 ZFT4, ILMOR 6.0L. CURRENT 2010 X14V, ZFT3, RTP-1
I like it but it should be a credit option....less glass, less frame...
Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

I really like the looks but worried with cooler temps it would be a problem with wind. Grabbing the dock there would be very handy. Hadn't thought about the barefoot boom however. Maybe I made a mistake ordering standard.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
BTS:
less wind and spray protection, good to grab and hold other boats/docks, good to talk to skier/boarder

full windshield:
more wind protection, cozy, protected feeling on the driver/observer on those cooler days when you close the door/windshield and put the heater on...

for me the last arguments weight more, although I'd really like being able to grab the dock/other boats at times

@MC: by being able to take out the rear triangles on the regular windshield on those hot days, one windshield could serve both ideas...
Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
If you want an opinion.... I think it looks like $hit. Other than that, i wish it looked better. Nothing sucks more than having to reach over the traditional windshield from the helm.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
If you want an opinion.... I think it looks like $hit. Other than that, i wish it looked better. Nothing sucks more than having to reach over the traditional windshield from the helm.
Im with you on that, MC wasnt first at this. Axis was, and man is that an ugly boat!