Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-13-2012, 04:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
Help: need input on new tow vehicle.

I want to find a replacement for my 2011 Tundra 4X4 crewmax. I love the truck, and it tows great, but I need something smaller. I live in a gated community near mid-town, in Houston. The driveways and streets in my neighborhood are very small and narrow, and my truck won't even begin to fit in our garage.

The replacement has to be able to tow my '08 Prostar 214 w/ tandem axle trailer, total weight est. +/- 5000k lbs, without any issues. I'd prefer a tow rating of at least 7500 lbs. since we tow a lot in the steep hills around Austin. I don't want to have any problems with stopping. I am assuming that I will be looking @ SUV's in order to get the size that I need. I will be driving this vehicle every day to work, so comfort is important, as well as MPG. My Tundra only gets 14 mpg in town, so that shouldn't be hard to beat. I don't have kids to worry about, but I like having the extra interior room of my crewmax. I would also like to stay in a 4x4, or at least AWD.

Here's the problem, I need to keep within a budget of +/- $35k. I am not against buying used, so that is alway an option. I work for a Toyota dealer, so my pricing for those is great, but I'm limited to the Tundra if I want a tow rating higher than 5k lbs. I like the VW Toureg in the TDI, but they are pricey.

The pics are of the Tundra to be replaced.

What would you suggest I look at? Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
2011+ Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L. Pretty sure they have the 7500lb tow capacity, and that hemi will have plenty of power while still managing 21mpg (not towing). Hemi optioned Grand's start around 34-35k I think.

That's what I'd buy anyway
Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts-20 View Post
I work for a Toyota dealer, so my pricing for those is great, but I'm limited to the Tundra if I want a tow rating higher than 5k lbs.
Better bone up on your product knowledge... the 4x4 V6 Tacoma can tow up to 6500 lbs. I dont think youre going to do much better than 17-18mpg with it in mixed driving, though.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
Better bone up on your product knowledge... the 4x4 V6 Tacoma can tow up to 6500 lbs. I dont think youre going to do much better than 17-18mpg with it in mixed driving, though.
Lol! I work in wholesale parts, so the extent of my product knowlege on Tacoma's is limited to the crash parts I sell to body shops. I looked in the brochure and it said Tacoma and FJ maxed out at 5000 lbs. Where did you see them listed @ 6500 lbs? Either way the Tacoma is too small on the inside for my liking.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Two of my buddies have Access cab V6 4x4's. Check out Toyota.com for the specs.

Not sure youre going to have much luck finding a 4x4 truck/suv that's bigger than a midsize (Tacoma) and smaller than a full size (Tundra). The only truck that fits that description that I can think of is the previous gen Tundra... its just a bit bigger than the current Taco. I thought the point was to go smaller and more fuel efficient, though? Cant have your cake and eat it too!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
Two of my buddies have Access cab V6 4x4's. Check out Toyota.com for the specs.

Not sure youre going to have much luck finding a 4x4 truck/suv that's bigger than a midsize (Tacoma) and smaller than a full size (Tundra). The only truck that fits that description that I can think of is the previous gen Tundra... its just a bit bigger than the current Taco. I thought the point was to go smaller and more fuel efficient, though? Cant have your cake and eat it too!
ya, thank you, I found it. I'm not sure how I missed that. "Towing capacity (lb.) (standard/with V6 Tow Package) 3500/6400" Very impressive for such a small vehicle. But I want a tow rating somewhere near 7500 lbs. I know its going to be difficult to find something. I'm being very picky.

I am looking for something in the size range of the Grand Cherokee, or the Toureg. It doesn't have to be a pickup.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Stars and Stripes
what about a 4runner?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
The older Toureg V10 TDI's can be had in the $30's in good condition now. They actually seem like a deal compared to what they cost new. They pull like a train. Same hp/tq as the older DMaxes. Not sure if they're finicky or super relaible though.
For the money, I'd look at Grand Cherokees or Dodge Durangos. The 2nd Gen Durangos are butt ugly IMO, but can get them with the 5.7 Hemi. Old boss had the Chrysler version (aspen?) and said it towed his 22' Supra better than his Avalanche 5.3. The new Durangos are sharp looking again, probably find one in your price range.
I know they offered 4 Runners with a V8. Tow rating on those should be close to what you're looking for too I'd think. Never seen a V8 Tacoma though, but I got a buddy who has put the TRD supercharger on his last 3 trucks. 2 Tundras and an older Taco. That Taco with the blower would run up to the Eisenhower Tunnel (I 70, Colorado, proving grounds for how well your truck can tow up a 7% ? grade at 10k ft at highway speeds.) witha 3 sled trailer at 75mph no problem. Any blown Toyota would tug your boat around Texas with ease.

You could probably get a good deal on a TRD supercharger setup being in wholesale parts!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-13-2012, 05:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
what about a 4runner?
I like the size of the new 4Runners, but there max towing cap. is 5k lbs.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
The older Toureg V10 TDI's can be had in the $30's in good condition now. They actually seem like a deal compared to what they cost new. They pull like a train. Same hp/tq as the older DMaxes. Not sure if they're finicky or super relaible though.
For the money, I'd look at Grand Cherokees or Dodge Durangos. The 2nd Gen Durangos are butt ugly IMO, but can get them with the 5.7 Hemi. Old boss had the Chrysler version (aspen?) and said it towed his 22' Supra better than his Avalanche 5.3. The new Durangos are sharp looking again, probably find one in your price range.
I know they offered 4 Runners with a V8. Tow rating on those should be close to what you're looking for too I'd think. Never seen a V8 Tacoma though, but I got a buddy who has put the TRD supercharger on his last 3 trucks. 2 Tundras and an older Taco. That Taco with the blower would run up to the Eisenhower Tunnel (I 70, Colorado, proving grounds for how well your truck can tow up a 7% ? grade at 10k ft at highway speeds.) witha 3 sled trailer at 75mph no problem. Any blown Toyota would tug your boat around Texas with ease.

You could probably get a good deal on a TRD supercharger setup being in wholesale parts!
The Toureg, old and new body styles, in TDI, are hard to find unless you want to drop $50k+ at the dealer. I really like the looks and interior space of the Grand Cherokee limited/Overland editions. The Tacomas just feel really small on the inside. Maybe its just an illusion. I need to take one home for a weekend and try to drag the boat around.

Last edited by gts-20; 11-13-2012 at 05:23 PM.