Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Wet Sounds...Wow!

In my never-ending quest to have THE loudest stereo on the water, I did some more upgrades this spring. I purchased and installed one pair of Wetsounds Rev-8 tower speakers, one Syn 4 to power the tower speakers, and a WS-420 EQ. I already had two solid Kicker amplifiers, 4-Kicker 6.5s, and one 12" Kicker sub. Additionally, I've upgraded my alternator to generate more volts, added extra batteries, etc. After using the system with the recently added Wet Sounds upgrades, I am highly impressed. A few thoughts...

The Rev 8 + Syn 4 combo is powerful. At 75' behind the boat for a wakeboard run, the music is loud and clear. Too, it isn't "tinny," there is solid mid-range bass. I bought the Rev-8's with the swivel mounts. With the mounts, the speakers can rotate 270 degrees. We spend a lot of weekend time in raft-ups and sandbars and it is nice to be able to project the sound to the front.

The WS-420 EQ is an excellent piece of equipment. My favorite feature is the PA or "Hailer." We have kids and the PA is awesome for coaching, or to point out oncoming wakes or other potential dangers. In addition, the EQ gives you the ability to control zones in the boat. In other words, you can turn the volume on the in-boat speakers way down so as not to bother little kids while concurrently operating the tower speakers at a higher volume. Of course, the EQ allows you to adjust treble, bass, etc.

All-in-all I'm very pleased. We get tons of compliments and comments about how "loud" the system is. The Wet Sounds stuff isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for!

P.S. A big thanks to Swatguy, JimN, Erkoheler, and David@Earmark for their assistance with all my questions.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
No video :-(
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Glad it all worked out and he was able to take care of ya. Thise 8's on the Syn 4 crank. Just out of curiosity why did you end up mounting the speakers on the front crossmember vs the rear?

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 06-27-2013, 04:05 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
Just out of curiosity why did you end up mounting the speakers on the front crossmember vs the rear?
I bought the boat used. When I bought it, the previous owner already had speakers mounted and wires run to the front tube. Since the holes were already there, I just went ahead and maintained the same spot. Too, I think the speakers would look unbalanced extending so far back from the rear tube. Where they are, the rear tube provides some overhead coverage. Just my $.02.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Cool. The only thing that may happen is it may be a bit loud to all the passengers when those things are cranking because of their forward position. If you find thats's the case obviously swap the to the rear bar then the projection area starts further behind the passenger compartment and won't be so loud in the cabin are. Just something to keep in mind down the road if you find that happening. If not rock on and enjoy. Those things sound great.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
I made a custom mount for my WS's on my 02, so they mount in the middle of the two tower bars like the stock speakers did. I like the look but they are LOUD if you are sitting in the back of the boat.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
MC Platinum

76 that sounds like a nice setup. Having an open bow, I might have the backseat in my boat once per year. Therefore, blowing out the back isn't too much of a big deal for me. However, thinking back to when I had my PS 190, I completely understand your point.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:18 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Congrats on the new system, Brian!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 PM
MC Platinum

Thank you, Doug!