Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
$95 and hour is not bad. Keep in mind what that includes: The mechanic to do the labor, the shop in which they do the labor, the training the mechanic has to go to in order to be able to work on the boat/engine, the service writer, the guy who orders the parts, the guy who cleans your boat before they return it to you... In other words, it's not just somebody's hour wage you are talking about; it is the "shop rate".
Biggest misconception when I told someone our shop rate. "You make $96 an hour?" THAT is funny! Not anywhere close for a shop wrench guy.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
MC dealer around here is $150 per hour! Sooo glad I can do most everything myself.

If I would just take a welding class and practice, I could tackle my swing tounge rather than having it done (not for $150 an hour mind you).

Last edited by JDC; 02-21-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Seeing your post quoted makes errors jump out at you. :)
Old 02-21-2013, 07:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
If I would just take a welding class and practice, I could tackle my swing tounge rather than having it done (not for $150 and hour mind you).
When I had my swing tongue done, I just bought the kit online and found a local welder to install it.

His rate was considerably less than $150/hr.

The entire process was about $200 (~$120 welding labor and $80 for kit).

As far as our local shops, they charge about $120/hr.

I learned to work on boat.

That is obscene. The Mercedes and BMW dealers don't even get that much per hour.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
I'd say 350 bucks is about on par for what my dealer charges. The expensive part is the labor. I think at my dealer is 95 an hour! The way its half way justifiable to me is that I think of my Mastercraft as a high end car. My mom had a porsche cayenne GTS last year, and it was 400 bucks for an oil change. I know we're not all doctors and lawyers, but you did just buy a 100k dollar boat! Haha.
Right about the cost, just bought with a lot of credit!!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
$95 and hour is not bad. Keep in mind what that includes: The mechanic to do the labor, the shop in which they do the labor, the training the mechanic has to go to in order to be able to work on the boat/engine, the service writer, the guy who orders the parts, the guy who cleans your boat before they return it to you... In other words, it's not just somebody's hour wage you are talking about; it is the "shop rate".
Agreed, Don't forget they are making money on the parts too though. Like the majority of businesses nowadays, they are often top heavy in management and the poor mechanic is earning a basic wage.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS, X-Package
Do most maintenance myself. Good fiberglass shops are not hard to find. Before you decide on a guy, check out some of his finished work, be sure to see some before pictures.

Wish I had a local shop that would work on engine on occassion, when I get stumped. None in my town don't have a clue...
Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Rob View Post
I am in The Woodlands about 45 min north of Houston, and about 20 south of Lake Conroe. I am going to try out Dockside which is the local MC dealer probably next week. Rudder shaft is a little lose and defiantly letting a bit too much water in, and I don't have any time myself to look into it. I probably should get trany and oil change too.

I made it great. I however, did make one mistake. I figured the wrap was water tight so no worries left it in my driveway a month while it rained and such. Glad I opened it up. I guess it got a ton of condensation in the motor compartment. The brand new looking motor I had was covered in mold growth What I PAIN to get the majority of that clean and sprayed down. I am sure I didn't get it all either this will be an on going project.
Bummer on the shrink wrap. He just did another boat for us and was showing us a new wrap, it's black on the inside and it's supposed to help with the mold for extended periods of time. Ironically he was talking about putting it in the engine compartment...?