Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
I still wonder what "winterizing" means in these cases. If that includes wrapping the boat as well, that adds quite a bit more to the cost. I'm not saying that justifies it; just that you can compare if you don't know the details.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
The qoute for 700 for winterize was just a simple engine winterize, no tarp, no storage, no detail, those were all extras. I think the problem is that people are actually paying this money who have okanagan summer homes because they dont want the hastle so thats the new dealer pricing.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
I wonder what i will be charged for a summerize? what do you guys pay?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Get a friend to show you how so after that you can winterize your boat every year on your own, no need for the dealer (and no need to pay 700...ouch!)

Tune-up, impeller change, filter changes, prop changes, belt/hose changes are all fairly easy after you've done them once. In the past I had a friend with an '84 MC that showed me how to maintain my boat. Leave major items to the dealer, like engine alignment, transmission work, computer diagnosis, gelcoat work, etc.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamalka View Post
The qoute for 700 for winterize was just a simple engine winterize, no tarp, no storage, no detail, those were all extras. I think the problem is that people are actually paying this money who have okanagan summer homes because they dont want the hastle so thats the new dealer pricing.
is this at Ra*b*rn*?

MONKEY FACE
Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
I didn't know they were that close to one another now.

But with the additional Canadian taxes, are they still "equal"??
Weren't talking about taxes... Currencies.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamalka View Post
Wow. Then I'd have to say that is one big rip off. Prior season my dealer had a special of $99 for winterize. This last season they did not have a special so it was more expensive but not really out of line. I still do mine myself because I believe in getting up close and personal with my boat.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Get a friend to show you how so after that you can winterize your boat every year on your own, no need for the dealer (and no need to pay 700...ouch!)

Tune-up, impeller change, filter changes, prop changes, belt/hose changes are all fairly easy after you've done them once. In the past I had a friend with an '84 MC that showed me how to maintain my boat. Leave major items to the dealer, like engine alignment, transmission work, computer diagnosis, gelcoat work, etc.
I completely agree with you. In fact, when I took my boat in for the last 100hrs service I had already change the engine and transmission oil, lubricated steering cable and rudder, cleaned the air cleaner and a couple other items. Before I took the boat in for service, I talked with the service writer to make sure it was OK with them. I still paid a fair amount of money but it reduced the bill by quite a bit.

Checking the engine alignment is very easy. Actually moving the engine/transmission if out of alignment is a bit harder but still something anyone could do.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
I do all my own maint. and repairs but will purchase parts from local dealer if they have it in stock. If they have to order then I will seek else were unless it has to come from MasterCraft.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45
We had local 'Non-dealer' That may have even posted in this thread that took over just about all the MC business for basic services like winterization, fluid changes, even storage. They provided quicker, better service and cared about their customers more than the dealer and to top it off a bit cheaper. Depends on what your local options are but I would not be afraid to go with someone who gives you better service.

Now I just need to find someone I trust after moving