Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand2snow22 View Post
What's your point. Currently they're both about equal....
Point is:

What's included in that Winterization cost? Engine oil change, transmission oil change, spark plug replacement, spark plug wire replacement, Cap and rotor replacement, impellar replacement, Interior Detail, Exterior Detail, Shrink wrap, Trailer wheel bearing replacement/repacking, De-winterization in the spring, etc.

That makes a difference on the price being reasonable or not.

1994 205, LT1
Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Is that before or after your tax system gets a hold of you? I know in Ontario any service includes a size-able tax (GST, VAT, PST, LMNOP and whatever else they seem to come up with) to go along with it. I almost fell over a couple years back when I was charged an additional 6% recycling tax (on top of the 13% sales tax) on a DVD player I bought there for the family's cottage and that was on top of the already inflated price (at least by US price standards) of the DVD player itself. And while I'm on a rant whatever happened to the great prices for beer in Canada? Last summer I almost fell over when I went to buy a case of beer at the beer store and they wanted $42 before the 13% sales tax. Beer at the local bar had also climbed to $4.50 a pint and that was for Coors lite. Come to think of it at those rates $700 is looking pretty cheap for winterizing.

Comparing US and Canadian labor rates is going to be difficult. Regardless one sure way to get around them is to learn to do the work yourself. Winterizing isn't that difficult for most average guys/gals with moderate mechanical skills. There's also a ton of help here should you need it. I know I would be doing a lot less boating if I couldn't do this work myself. You'll also be very popular with your other boating friends that will no doubt want you to share your new found skill set with them.

I would concur with others on the gel work. Unless this is a big shop they're most likely subbing this work out and charging you to take the boat to another shop along with an uplift to make it worth their time. I know my local dealer does this. A lot of times you can call around or just ask someone at the dealer casually who they use for their repairs and they'll tell you. A good way to go about it would be to plainly ask "do you do your own gel coat work here or do you send it out?" If they say they send it out ask who they send it to.
The US vs CDN price difference is a hot topic in Canada always along with our higher taxes .
Biggest diff (besides booze) is cars. We just bought a Subaru in Utah for my parents at xmas and brought it home, after all is said and done, we saved over $5000 compared to the local dealer. As much as I want to support the local economy there is a point and 5k buys a lot of boat gas.
Seems like new boat prices are closer, used boats here are sometimes even higher depending on how the economy is doing where the boat is being sold.
Service for anything is for sure priced better in the US from what I have seen.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle8296607/
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
I got an idea..... Start a boat winterization company..... Use off-duty Topless Hooter's waitresses.
Charge "$1500.00-$2000.00 a pop"

money in the bank babay!!!!!!
I mean, heck if someone is paying $700.00 for a dirty grease monkey in overalls to winterize.... my plan would work!

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
If it was a brand new boat or only a few years old, I might be more enclined to take to the dealer for repairs/winterization. In fact, I've been winterizing my 94' at the Bu' dealer for several years but just this year, decided to do it myself. My dealer was pushing $400 with all the fluid changes so I decided to try it all myself. Turned out great (so far.....we'll see next spring if I missed something )

Just depends on your comfort level.

However, your $700 is Canadian dollars too (I assume) so that needs to be considered too when we (down in the US) compare your winterization cost. Also, what's in that price?
You do know that our dollars are almost par with one another (1.00 vs 1.02) and have been for a few years now right??

On another note, good on yah for doing your winterization

MONKEY FACE
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand2snow22 View Post
What's your point. Currently they're both about equal....
yah beat me too it sand

MONKEY FACE
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pram View Post
You do know that our dollars are almost par with one another (1.00 vs 1.02) and have been for a few years now right??

On another note, good on yah for doing your winterization
I didn't know they were that close to one another now.

But with the additional Canadian taxes, are they still "equal"??

1994 205, LT1
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Apparently only if they're buying stuff at CostCo or Sam's Club here in the states. The parking lots at both these stores by the border have tons of Canadian plates on them on weekends and sometimes even during the week. I've been told by my Canadian friends that even after paying the duty it's still significantly cheaper to shop here if you are stocking up than to buy locally in Canada.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Well, it's colder in Canada, so obviously winterizing is going to be more expensive up there.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
Kalamalka,

I started a thread a while ago complaining about the overpriced service rates. I paid about $700 for winterizing from my local MC dealer even though they advertise $499, but I found out that is for Labour only.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
Well, it's colder in Canada, so obviously winterizing is going to be more expensive up there.