Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 05:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinBoatin View Post
The reason I ask is because they said they would deliver it for the same amount I'd spend in gas to go get it. Also it would save me 2 solid days of driving. I relying on them being honest about everything about it. I think driving to would be well worth it though since I'd get to look at it behind me all the way home and ill need someone to show me how to use it. I'm sure it's a lot more complicated then my sea ray.
I would ask Cloaked to go take a look and send you plenty of pics of all angles of the boat. Then have them deliver for the gas money for sure! I've bought many things over the internet and always felt I got a better feel looking at something thru a pic versus walking around it for the first time. Your always in a hurry and excited so you overlook a few things. Cloaked doesn't have any skin in the game he's looking out for your best interest, plus they are know to be a great dealership. I'd get the ball rolling soon as we have a warm day these boats will start moving!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter View Post
There's going to be a lot of difference between your SeaRay and the MC but it's a short learning curve. When I moved from my Chap to the X-30 the hardest part for me was learning to drive an inboard with a prop that didn't move up/down or side-to-side. I would encourage you to find a calm open part of the water, drop a fender in the water and practice pulling up to it. You'll appreciate the practice when it comes time to pull up to a busy dock or boat ramp.
I actually went from a Sea Ray to an inboard, as well. Specter gives great advice about how to make the transition.

I had actually driven a number of inboards earlier in life, but all were dual screws (ocean fishing boats in Washington State). A single engine inboard is a different beast.

However, I was able to find a day last October when the local dock was deserted. This was shortly after I took delivery of the 2004 X-10. I was able to spend about 30 minutes approaching slowly and getting used to the "counter-clockwise spin" which occurred when the MC is put in reverse.

Repetition was key and I went from being very uncomfortable with the way the boat behaved to feeling pretty comfortable. The "AHA" moment came when I realized that the boat instinctively turns counter-clockwise in reverse regardless of rudder position. That allowed me to practice coming into the dock at about 15 degrees (with the dock on starboard), then use a burst of reverse to slow the forward progress and pull the stern to the dock.

This Spring, once the snow clears and the ice departs, I will look for days when my dock will again be deserted, so that I can go out and practice again.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x-45 8.1L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
I personally am not big on their business, but that is personal preference on my part.

To answer your concerns, I'd say they are as upfront as any other (dis)honest dealer. They have a fairly nice facility and seem to do business in volume, relative to a backyard operation. From what I see of them (as I live just down the road) I'd trust them to deliver for the same cost of $3.75 per gallon (gas) x X number of miles. Make then show you the math. Easy as that, considering you're not out two days of hard driving. I commuted from Knoxville (nearby) to Bloomington IL, weekly for 5 years. I know the drive. I'd have them bring it to the house for anything reasonablly close to the fuel bill. There is also a factor of say........ mmmmmm.. ~$250 for no wear and tear on your vehicle and an investment of your time otherwise.

What more can I say? Shall I go look this thing over for you? I mean, I'll send it your way unless it has a hole in the hull....

Yes they are a reputable and legitimate business in Knoxville....

The direct drive is different. Not complicated just different. You'll catch on quickly...

I would appreciate it if you gave it a look over if its not too much trouble for you. I've been talking to them off and on for a week now trying to figure out a reasonable price. The price they have on it doesn't include a trailer. I was quoted 6k for a new factory trailer. I have found numerous other ones for under 60k with trailers that are in as nice shape. I am a big fan of the color scheme on the orange/white one in TN though.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Past: 1986 MC 19 Skier; Nautique, 230, 2009, PCM 343; 2012 X-45 ZFT4, ILMOR 6.0L. CURRENT 2010 X14V, ZFT3, RTP-1
If its the one I think it is, it has every option available. The seats are made from Ultra Leather which is super soft, stays cool and is used on million $ yachts!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
I would appreciate it if you gave it a look over if its not too much trouble for you. I've been talking to them off and on for a week now trying to figure out a reasonable price. The price they have on it doesn't include a trailer. I was quoted 6k for a new factory trailer. I have found numerous other ones for under 60k with trailers that are in as nice shape. I am a big fan of the color scheme on the orange/white one in TN though.
The boat is in excellent condition. I did not see anything that would make me dissatisfied with the boat, if it were delivered to me, sight unseen. I stopped in there early this morning (no camera, as I had't heard back from this post this morning) but it looks like a good boat. For me, I'd be hard pressed to add $6k for a trailer, knowing (like you say) there are other boats out there with a trailer and probably in as good of shape.

Orange and white is fine (I am sick of the colors after living here ll my life ) but ask Eric about the orange and white boat he had for a good while before it sold (several years).

I'd give this boat a 9/10 leaving a little room for improvement for carpet but is is by no means ready for replacement. Engine compartment and components are clean, the gel finish is good and it is overall worthy of buying... but dang they are looking for a quick buck for $6k for a trailer. They have direct access to Boatmate Trailers and can get a trailer from them for half of that or less if they want to move the boat. Dealers are dealers. For the markup of the boat (whatever it is) and the wholesale dealer cost of a trailer, they should be able to put you in that boat for said price or less with a trailer. They are sitting on it and gambling on your impatience . My personal opinion, the boat is in good shape but I'd look elsewhere. You'll fair better with a trailer not to mention 7% TN sales tax on top of all of that (boat and trailer). Also be aware for Illinois, TN does not title a boat so you'll have to make sure that you contact IL people and get everything you need from TN to title and register in IL. All you'll get from here is a bill of sale. TN also does not require a boat trailer to be registered, so double check the title for that too.

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 02-23-2013, 03:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

I should have mentioned that it was Rambo marine that quoted me 6k for a trailer. Tha boat is on consignment and the owner supposedly won't go less than 56k. I'm hoping if I offer 53 then pay an extra 4k for a trailer that they will make the deal for me. Its Been sittin there since oct. I'll know more next Monday. Unfortunately I leave for Colorado on a ski trip on tues morn so it will be another week before I can make a move on it.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
I should have mentioned that it was Rambo marine that quoted me 6k for a trailer. Tha boat is on consignment and the owner supposedly won't go less than 56k. I'm hoping if I offer 53 then pay an extra 4k for a trailer that they will make the deal for me. Its Been sittin there since oct. I'll know more next Monday. Unfortunately I leave for Colorado on a ski trip on tues morn so it will be another week before I can make a move on it.
It will be there when you get back... I can't figure why Rambo wouldn't have it in Alabama other than the orange / white strategy there for Knoxville. Keep looking in the mean time. Patience... Two boat dealers are looking for top dollar from someone.

Have fun skiing.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
boat

Don't overpay for a boat in Feb!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

So I've called these guys 3 times about a boat. Talked to several different people and each person said they would have to talk to their manage and call me back. I have not re I ever one call from them. They said that the manager as at their boat show. I understand that they may be busy but are you telling me they don't have time to call me back to sell a boat. I told each of the guys that I want to buy the boat.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X15 MCX350
I'll be at the show tonight. Ill see if I can get the low down.