Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1979 stars&Stripes
pics

What yall think about the paint it might be hard to tell, Is ther any hope for it?
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2013, 05:26 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewilkins View Post
What yall think about the paint it might be hard to tell, Is ther any hope for it?
I assume you are talking about the gelcoat finish on the outside of the boat. Lots if info about compounding (and wet-sanding if needed) on here. It is amazing what can be done. New vinyl graphics from Jim at BAWS.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
First thing I would do to the outside would hit the gelcoat, especially that nasty bottom, with some oxalic acid (starbright hull cleaner or powder in solution - cheaper).

Brighten up that hull from sitting in the water.

Then remove decals and polish gelcoat with compound to see where you stand.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Where did you end up finding your boat? I looked at a chocolate boat before I bought my current boat. It was down around Pensacola. Really liked the chocolate and cream color, but the guy and I couldn't agree on a price.

If you are on Facebook, make sure you join The MasterCaft Project group. Lots of info on there also. The group is dedicate to stars and stripes boats.

You will hear all sorts of pros and cons regarding poly vs. epoxy resin and/or marine ply vs. exterior. You have to go with what you are comfortable with and can afford. I chose to go with poly resin and exterior ply due to cost. Materials/glass are better than they were 35 years ago, and also I am taking my time with the rebuild, so hopefully the workmanship will be better than from the factory.

Our local HD has a sale going on now for 3/4" AC plywood--34.00 sheet. The BC ply was 35.00 sheet. Go figure.

If you need a lead on bulk glass products, check out US composites. Alot of people on here and other places recommend them. I ordered my materials from them also, and they arrived today. No more excuses, have got to get to work!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
That will buff out nice.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 PM
TT Newbie

I found the boat from a freind of mine here in monticello GA, I dont know if its chocolate, it was a deep red but thats how bad its faded its now brown I pray that I can get it looking good with out repainting. Also, this might need to be on another topic but did yall exhaust pipe that leaves the risers go down into a 45' fitting then to muffler or did they hook straight up to the muffler?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM
TT Newbie

I just thought of an issue, when I go to set my stringer down and get ready to glass them, My boat hull flexes a good bit is this going to be an issue with fiberglassing and if it is how would i fix it?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
I found the boat from a freind of mine here in monticello GA, I dont know if its chocolate, it was a deep red but thats how bad its faded its now brown I pray that I can get it looking good with out repainting. Also, this might need to be on another topic but did yall exhaust pipe that leaves the risers go down into a 45' fitting then to muffler or did they hook straight up to the muffler?
Mine had a small muffler under gas tank. Hose was ran from manifold to muffler. I am going back with the stock type muffler. You can get muffler with the 45 degree fitting. Checkout skidim.com for mufflers/pics.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
I just thought of an issue, when I go to set my stringer down and get ready to glass them, My boat hull flexes a good bit is this going to be an issue with fiberglassing and if it is how would i fix it?
You will need to block the boat up really well to stabilize the floor. My floor had been replaced and there was extra glass on the floor. It does not move alot so i cut out all stringers. If you have not cut the steingers out yet, i would only cut out and replace them one at a time.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
Quote:
what,s the best type of sander or grinder I should use for inside my hull, for replacing some stringers, what grit paper
Roto-zip