Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
You will not want to afford this MC

The speakers alone were $550

Materials including the spray on liner, wire, wire looms, loom keepers, bondo, matting and resin, screen, sand paper, racks, mount, ETC

I am pushing close to $1,000+ to have two speakers up top. You know that they are clear and loud as HE// but I dont think you will start throwing that kind of cash at it. Dont forget that the amout of labor hours was probably in the 100+ range.

I dont want to make another one. Total PITA
Probably not, your stereo sounds so good w/o the tower speakers, I'd slowly start upgrading mine to be like yours if I had more money to toss at it.

But if the GF wants to bring the kids out to the lake, i might invest in a skylon.

MC

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1996, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
I read through the PDF file last night, I'm glad you made that instruction list. It's way more involved than I thought! But I'm gonna try it anyway. Is the PVC tubes there for exact airspace or just something to build off of?

Tapatalk
Let me know how your project goes, I'm thinking about going for it myself. I found a skylon rack on ebay last year and the speaker box would be a great addition.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
When I do it ill try to make a thread or just post pictures in here, I'm pretty stoked about it. Hopefully it turns out 1/2 as good as kyles

Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
When I do it ill try to make a thread or just post pictures in here, I'm pretty stoked about it. Hopefully it turns out 1/2 as good as kyles

Tapatalk
Kyles looks pretty badarse... looks like something you'd have bought out of a stereo shop... I would not have believed it was home made had I not known him... It's really that nice.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Kyles looks pretty badarse... looks like something you'd have bought out of a stereo shop... I would not have believed it was home made had I not known him... It's really that nice.
It is super awesome, like you said it looks like something someone bought not built! I give him props for it

Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2013, 02:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Thank you guys for the generous complements.

For those who want to buld a box. Lets just post up pics here and we can share ideas as we go.

Also The Pipe is more than likely not the correct air space. Yeah I know but it is probably real close. Lets just say that if I were to park next to someone who had the same speakers in the tower cans....You can not tell the difference in the clarity.

If you could only hear them through the thread. You would be shocked....Seriously...I know I was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM
MC Maniac

If you guys are looking to build with 6.5" or 7.7" speakers then that is fine. Once you pick a size you are married to that size or you will have to build a new box.

I bought the speakers first and then built the box around the speakers. You HAVE GOT to make sure that the pipe can fit the speaker and the wall of the pipe is thick enough to run a screw down between the ID and OD to mount it.

So that you do NOT crack the pipe.... Pre drill the speaker mount holes before getting too far invested in the project. Once you can mount the speakers fully into the pipe then build away.

I started out with some crappy Alpine 7" speakers and got very lucky that the JL 7.7" fit. I was afraid of having to remake the box.

This box is 4 years old and has been tossed around in the bed of trucks, taken in and out of the boat and set on the ground etc. Do the bed liner. I had mine painted base clear and it lasted 2 outings and it was off to LINEX for the bedliner. It will be very sturdy and you will like it...

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks for clarifying the air space question! I'm gonna read over all the instructions again tonight and make notes on what I need to buy. This might be in your PDF but did you just use like a fleece material between the two end pieces to fill the gap over the pipe? And then just cover it with glass resin and mat and sand/ bondo it? (Kinda like they show making custom speaker boxes on the old show pimp my ride lol)

Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying the air space question! I'm gonna read over all the instructions again tonight and make notes on what I need to buy. This might be in your PDF but did you just use like a fleece material between the two end pieces to fill the gap over the pipe? And then just cover it with glass resin and mat and sand/ bondo it? (Kinda like they show making custom speaker boxes on the old show pimp my ride lol)

Tapatalk
I actually used window screen but anything of that nature will work. You staple it to the wood and keep applying fleece, screen, or whatever is workable to shape easily, and get a general shape of the box. I wanted to box to kind of have the angle of the rack but have roundess to it too. That is why I rounded the front from the edge of the back wood piece to contour it around the pipe cap so it would be round on the end.

Ill take pics tonight I promise. I have to go to court in the city my boat is in this afternoon. I will stop by and snap a few shots for you guys.

I probably will not get the pics of it installed in the upright position because it is raining and I am in a rent car so I can not pull the boat out today. My truck is in for warranty work.

Ill hit you guys up here in a bit.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM
MC Devotee

K thanks again!

Tapatalk