Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2013, 08:32 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedeuce View Post
This happened last weekend at the river we go to. I had literally just launched in the harbor where the boat houses were and was waiting at the dock for my fiance to park the truck. A gentlemen that owns a house came up to me and started talking to me about the Mastercraft:

Him: Oh man, I have been watching you the past couple seasons pulling all the people around, I have been keeping an eye out all season for you to come out with that boat so i could talk to you. This thing is sweet
Me: thanks! it's not the prettiest out here, but we enjoy our time with it.
Him: well, it still looks great, what year is it? I bet it hauls a$$
Me: 1983, it gets up and goes. especially when i am pulling a couple people. i've got the 351 and powerslot to thank for that.
Him: (flabbergasted of the size engine) a 351? did that come in it??
Me: yea, 351 PCM. I have put a little money in it, but just routine maintenance things. All stock. (this is about time my fiance gets back and my friends pull up)
Him: Yea, i have a jet boat back in the slip. It'll do 50+ easily.
Me: well that's good. I get up to low 40's, but i don't usually push it that hard often.
Him: Only 40? Your joking. That thing should compete against my boat. you must not have the right prop on it.
Me: It's not a go fast boat...made for skiing. I've got a 4 blade prop on it.
Him: well you should try to prop it up and use the trim. (i just blankly stare at him for a little bit) I wanted to invite you out to the drag races we are having for the Freedom Festival on the 3rd. We're going to line up a bunch of jet boats throughout the day and run them. Should be fun and i know that boat will do great if you get the right prop on it.
Me: thanks, but im going to pass. I would only be interested if we were pulling several skiers at the same time.
Him: No. No, skiers. Can't ski behind a jet boat...Stop out and see me on the 3rd, i think we'll get you entered in and see what we can do about the prop.
Me: ...Ok Sir. See you then

As he is walking away, my fiance looks and me and says "What an idiot. He must not know anything about boats"
Great great story!!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-22-2015, 10:19 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Another one this morning to revive this thread:

As I was dropping my trailer off to get some welding done a neighbor guy walked up and said; "what kind of boat do you have?" (Now, I'm wearing a MC Sweatshirt, my truck has a MC sticker, and the trailer is covered with MC stickers). I said; "MasterCraft...". Oh, he said (he obviously had no idea). "Do you do a lot of fishing or just leisure stuff?" (everyone's first question) I replied, "I use it to waterski, wakeboard and barefoot, no fishing"....

He actually fishes and camps where I ski and where there are a constant flow of MC boats...

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-22-2015, 10:21 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Another one this morning to revive this thread:

As I was dropping my trailer off to get some welding done a neighbor guy walked up and said; "what kind of boat do you have?" (Now, I'm wearing a MC Sweatshirt, my truck has a MC sticker, and the trailer is covered with MC stickers). I said; "MasterCraft...". Oh, he said (he obviously had no idea). "Do you do a lot of fishing or just leisure stuff?" (everyone's first question) I replied, "I use it to waterski, wakeboard and barefoot, no fishing"....

He actually fishes and camps where I ski and where there are a constant flow of MC boats...
most people float.... this community is so small - but yeah - it's funny...
Old 10-22-2015, 11:08 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
It takes all types... I had a guy ask me this summer what kind of jet I was running... we were at a gas station with the boat in tow, the prop was clearly visible.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
The funniest one is when I first bought the boat. My fiances parents were very concerned. I have a habit of enjoying go-fast toys and well, going fast. So when I brought the boat home for the first time they, especially her mom, were very very worried. They knew it had a big block, and though it had a roll bar, and just looked fast. They were really concerned the first couple of times I took it out with her daughter. The fact she once said something like “don’t lie, I know its fast! It has a roll-bar. Do you think I’m stupid ? I don’t want you to die!”. And my Gf responded “Mom. It’s a tower to get pulled from to wakeboard. What is a rollbar going to do in the water anyways?. I still don’t think they believe we don’t go over 30mph.

In all fairness, I do have a bad reputation lol.

Another funny one was a Zucky Lake (spelling is probably off, in Michigan somewhere).We were going around “crunch corner”. It is very shallow, and is only one lane wide where it is deep, and it’s a blind corner. So anyways. First time taking the boat out. Im driving a barge (shes pretty much 25’). I tell everyone to get to the front of the boat to get the prop up as high as possible. Then someone yells at me, “dude, trim up! You forgot to trim up”. I yell back “I cant. Shut up. I know what I’m doing”. IT became a very stressful next 2 minutes because we went back and forth a bit. Luckily the prop came out ok, and someone learned that day that all boats cant trim up or down at will.

The of course you get the standard we all get “Its got a big block and only does 40 something MPH? something’s wrong!”

And ofcourse after a day of riding people are always shocked how we just burned over 200$ of gas.

Noone seems to get why me and the lady also dont like tubing. They also dont get why we dont let them drive the boat to tube. We ride on a river that isnt very wide. IT just requires so much energy to focus. People want to take turns and get tossed around, but we need to stay away from shore to avoid logs, fallen treees, ect. Plus I dont want anyone getting thrown into the shore by accident. Its a lot of work. With riding its easy. Set the PP. drive in a straight line. Watch for oncomong boats and stuff in the water. You can also enjoy wathcing the people behind you (especially with PP). I love tubign, but i need to be on a large body of water to enjoy it as a driver.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Stars and Stripes, 1980, 351
I get the fast comment all the time as well which goes without saying.

I also have a buddy that thinks he knows everything about everything. So one day were cruising up the river and an oncoming boat passes so I hold out then cut left to just go strait across their wake. Quick and easy as my 1980 S&S doesn't do will with wakes. So my friend tells me I'm stupid and I should just keep going strait. Luckily there was another boat headed towards us so I said okay, we'll try it your way. Needless to say after about 10 seconds of getting bounced around he realized he was wrong.

Also, back seat passengers. First ride is always the worst. They see the "no wake zone" sign and start yelling "hey slow down hey!!!" about 100 yards before hand as I wait, pull the power off and the boat settles right before the sign. People don't realize how quick you slow down when you pull the power off.

Surprisingly I have yet to get the fishing comment or anything of the sort.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Coming soon
Just found this thread.

Full disclosure my grandpa and I are very similar people and sometimes jokingly bicker and he knows boats pretty well and knows mine isnt a fishing boat. First time I took him out in it we went to a spot and sat a minute, he asks "Do you have any fishing poles in here? I said "this ain't no damn fishing boat" , he stills laughs about that every time.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV
Best. Thread. Ever.

Ugly towers is pretty great too.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2016 X20,(2010 X2, MCX- Sold)
#1 : the do you do a lot of fishing comment (bc apparently that's all people do with boats)

#2: how much do that cost ? (which is tacky to ask a stranger anyways) but my answer is always just: "a lot"
Old 10-22-2015, 04:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
I think I am going to start answering the How Fast Question in honor of Back to the Future "Doc Brown" with 88MPH!