Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-14-2005, 10:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 MasterCraft S & S 351 w/powerslot
Speaker Installation in 85 S & S

I have recently installed a stereo in my 85 S & S and now I am trying to find a place to install speakers. I purchased a set of Dual DM-S655Sm 6.5" Dual Cone Surface Mount Marine Speakers

(http://etronics.resultspage.com/disp...dynamic&Store=)

but once I got them in I was surprised how big they were with the housing around them. I don't want to cut any holes or any way lower the value of the boat so a surface mount is the only way for me. I was considering mounting them just in front of the rear seat but I am worried about the grills getting broken by equipment. Any ideas on where to mount the speakers? Also, can I screw into the wall with some short screws to hold the speakers in place or is the outer wall and inner wall one in the same? Sure do not want to make that kind of mistake!! If I could put some short screws in the wall I could mount the speakers close to the railing and not have to worry so much about equipment damaging the grills.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
i have an 83, we have two speakers in our boat (sad i know, but i'm saving up this winter) but we have the 2 speakers behind the drivers seat, and the other one is by the observer seat, (its in the same spot as the other speaker on the other side of the boat.)
Old 09-15-2005, 06:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

How are the speakers mounted (screwed to floor, side, other)? Did the speakers that you used come in their own waterproof enclosure or did you make something? I looked at mounting mine there but I wasn't sure how to mount them and I also use a boom a lot and I was a little afraid of flooding the speaker by the boom. I know they are marine speakers but the water that is taken on when teaching new barefooters might be too much. In that position I thought it would be best to mount them even with the bottom of the top rail but wasn't sure if I could use screws in that area. Do you know if it is a double wall in that area and if so how long a screw could I use?
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
it is not a double wall!! do not drill there, you will be very unhappy with yourself. I'm in the same spot, i have all of my stereo equipment, but can't decide where to install it. I'd hate to drill holes in the dash, but mounting them horizontally under the winsheild is the best location I can come up with.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:51 AM
aussies&s

i know you dont want to cut any holes in the boat but i installed a stereo in my s&s last weekend. i put two speakers on the dash. i had to cut two holes in the dash which wasnt hard at all. ill will post a pic tomorrow. i strongly suggest you put the speakers on the dash, the window reflects the music back to the driver and passengers and the speakers never get wet.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
please post pic aussies, I'd love to see what you did.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

I also wondered about drilling a couple of small screw holes in the floor to hold the speakers in place. Any thoughts? The dash location is an option I have considered but I will save that for my last resort (still don't want to cut holes if I don't have to.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '85 S&S
I installed a stereo in my '85 earlier this season. I used an underdash kit (flipped upside down) and mounted the head unit on top of the dash. I built 4 custom boxes for 6X9's and mounted on them right behind the drivers seat, another in the same spot next to the observer seat and two in front of the rear seat where Gmohlke was thinking about mounting his new speakers. We have not had any problems with the rear speakers. I mounted them by screwing them into the floor of the boat (leave the speaker out and drive screws through opening for speaker).
Old 09-16-2005, 08:44 PM
aussies&s

heres the pics.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2005, 08:48 PM
aussies&s

under the dash
Attached Images