Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2016, 11:01 AM
nibbles nibbles is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Boat: Mastercraft X30, 2015
Location: nashville
Posts: 14
New JL Set Up For x30 2 m880 and 2 m770s

So i am gathering the parts neccesary to redo the system in our 2015 x30. we did not get the upgraded sound package from the factory.

we have 2 m770s on the tower. we just bought 2 m880s to add to that.

these will be powered by a JL MHD 600/4


now the interior speakers are MX770s powered by the head unit currently. These speakers can handle 100 watts of continuous power.

i was able to pick up the wet sounds HT4 on closeout (219 at crutch field!) and will power them with this. it has an out put of 110 rms. I cant imagine this will be a problem as long as i don't over do it, correct?

Also, i want to ude a power distributor block. Can i use 4 gauge wire from the battery to the block, or will i have to go to 0 with this set up?


Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-04-2016, 11:39 AM
David Analog's Avatar
David Analog David Analog is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: N/A
Location: Texas
Posts: 431
You won't have a problem with the HT4 on the MX770s, especially since you will be running in the highpass mode.
Either amplifier requires an independent supply equal to 4-gauge. The distribution block will be close to the amplifiers. So that means that the main supply from battery to master breaker to distribution block needs to be of much larger capacity. You will likely add a subwoofer in the future so make a provision for that. 0-gauge is a good call.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-04-2016, 12:35 PM
nibbles nibbles is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Boat: Mastercraft X30, 2015
Location: nashville
Posts: 14
Thanks David, Now when you say from the battery, i was under the impression that i was going to run a positive cable from that standard perko in the back corner (with a circuit breaker) to the dist block near where the amps will be (by the battery bank). The boat has the upgraded dual battery setup w/ charger/ on/off switch etc.. Is this correct that i will NOT be wiring the positive directly to the battery? Asking because this will dictate length of 0 gauge wire i purchase

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-04-2016, 12:42 PM
David Analog's Avatar
David Analog David Analog is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: N/A
Location: Texas
Posts: 431
Yes, you are correct in wiring to the output post of the battery switch and maintaining a master cut-off....and not wiring battery-direct.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 AM
imyourmaster's Avatar
imyourmaster imyourmaster is online now
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 2008 X-2
Location: south east
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
Yes, you are correct in wiring to the output post of the battery switch and maintaining a master cut-off....and not wiring battery-direct.

David, regarding your reply above, I ran both positive and ground wires direct from the battery itself to my amps. The length of wire I required was only about 5 to 6 feet compared to 20 feet if I had to run it all the way back to the factory battery switch. This resulted in a MUCH shorter run of wire and cost savings. I simply added a fusible circuit breaker between the battery and amps acting as a master cut-off. Is this not another viable option?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 AM
David Analog's Avatar
David Analog David Analog is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: N/A
Location: Texas
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourmaster View Post
David, regarding your reply above, I ran both positive and ground wires direct from the battery itself to my amps. The length of wire I required was only about 5 to 6 feet compared to 20 feet if I had to run it all the way back to the factory battery switch. This resulted in a MUCH shorter run of wire and cost savings. I simply added a fusible circuit breaker between the battery and amps acting as a master cut-off. Is this not another viable option?
Normally I prefer keeping the battery switch in the circuit. However, it is hard to argue with saving 14 feet X two (both + & -). You should still have a master-disconnect that is convenient to use.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2016, 09:52 AM
lees23 lees23 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Boat: 2014 X2
Location: Midwest
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
So i am gathering the parts neccesary to redo the system in our 2015 x30. we did not get the upgraded sound package from the factory.

we have 2 m770s on the tower. we just bought 2 m880s to add to that.

these will be powered by a JL MHD 600/4


now the interior speakers are MX770s powered by the head unit currently. These speakers can handle 100 watts of continuous power.

i was able to pick up the wet sounds HT4 on closeout (219 at crutch field!) and will power them with this. it has an out put of 110 rms. I cant imagine this will be a problem as long as i don't over do it, correct?



Also, i want to ude a power distributor block. Can i use 4 gauge wire from the battery to the block, or will i have to go to 0 with this set up?


Thank you for any advice!
So they use the MX series if you don't get the high power upgrade and the M series of you get the upgrade? My 2015 X2 has all M series.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Keith2230's Avatar
Keith2230 Keith2230 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 517
What you loose is the flexibility of changing which battery you run the stereo system off of when the engine isn't running. It's pretty common design to specifically choose a starting battery and a house battery (stereo) so I wouldn't be too worried about this. You might even choose different battery types based on this. Say stick with a low cost marine lead acid for starting battery and go with a larger AGM for the house battery.

You put in a fusible circuit breaker between the battery and the amps. As long as that is as close as possible to the battery, you did it correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-09-2016, 10:37 AM
nibbles nibbles is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Boat: Mastercraft X30, 2015
Location: nashville
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
Normally I prefer keeping the battery switch in the circuit. However, it is hard to argue with saving 14 feet X two (both + & -). You should still have a master-disconnect that is convenient to use.
Now this confuses me. I was under the impression that I would only be running the positive to the rear switch and putting the negative on the battery itself. The perko that Mastercraft puts in the boat is either all or nothing. Not able to switch batteries.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2016, 10:42 AM
nibbles nibbles is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Boat: Mastercraft X30, 2015
Location: nashville
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post
So they use the MX series if you don't get the high power upgrade and the M series of you get the upgrade? My 2015 X2 has all M series.
That is correct. The upgrade real is worth it. But I enjoy the ability to select what kind of amps I can drive the system with so I figured I would save the money. The mx series are more the adequate once properly powered. lack of a sub is not too important as I was not impressed with the performance of the jl in my last boat.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.