Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Looking at the 2010 Owner Manual section of Warranty, I would think this falls under 2.3 "Other Component Parts" which would be one year. I have the FPC extended warranty with the "MasterCraft Addendum" and "MasterCraft Accessory PAC Addendum" - which would cover the ballast tank. The FPC warranty is good for six years.

P.S. I just had the fuel pump replace because it was leaking between the mounting plate and the pressure regulator where there is a gasket between the two.
My fuel pump got replaced under the extended warranty. It went out while I was on the lake and stranded me. Haha. Won't ever get another boat without the extended warranty!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:41 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 x15
Well... Worlds largest mastercraft dealership has referred me to mastercraft. Ballast not covered on warranty. Not looking good for me. I hope mastercraft comes through for me.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
Martin Equip - Calgary and EDM

My KGB ballast tank had a leak in it since new. I went to the dealership and was told they would need to split the top deck from the bottom hull. I had considered it, but them I thought more damage and problems could occur from such major surgery that it wasnt worth the risk. Now my boat is slowly sinking when I fill the KGB.

bags that are held in an open position in the hull would be a better solution to this problem. they are flexible and can withstand vibration and pressure better than a rotomolded plastic tank. Additionally they wont rupture if water is frozen inside. If they incur some type of problem they can be detached, collapsed and removed thru the access hole for repair or replacement. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to put an accurate gauge on the fill level.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
MC Maniac

My boat got split in half, and I've been on the lake since. no problems for me, no leaky ballast. It really isn't as big of a deal as it seems.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig3972 View Post
Martin Equip - Calgary and EDM

My KGB ballast tank had a leak in it since new. I went to the dealership and was told they would need to split the top deck from the bottom hull. I had considered it, but them I thought more damage and problems could occur from such major surgery that it wasnt worth the risk. Now my boat is slowly sinking when I fill the KGB.

bags that are held in an open position in the hull would be a better solution to this problem. they are flexible and can withstand vibration and pressure better than a rotomolded plastic tank. Additionally they wont rupture if water is frozen inside. If they incur some type of problem they can be detached, collapsed and removed thru the access hole for repair or replacement. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to put an accurate gauge on the fill level.
Static pressure transducer in the bottom of the bag or drain line immediately after the bag. This is a method used in industry. Would only be accurate when boat is sitting still.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
I measure mine as the water flows from the vent line back into the lake, Full
Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-30
My dealer has always said that splitting the deck sounds a whole lot worse than it actually is. According to them it is a fairly simple procedure and not that hard to do. Just an FYI....
Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 x15
Mastercraft was no help at all. I am very disappointed. My dealership also said tough luck. I would not say a word if it was a wear item but we are talking about a static tank. Cost of repair approximately $4000. They were planning to remove the seat support to get the tank out replace tank then repair seat fibre glass. My boat is in my shop. I am thinking cut the tank in half to get it out then repair it see if I can make two tanks out of the one and plumb them together. I could cut a hole in the top of the tank and put a bag in the tank this would still look "stock". Or take the tank out and replace it with a bag. Any other options? The tank split right along the seam obviously under speced. I am so disappointed with all parties involved. It's been a great boat but with no support like any other machinery it is no good. I own lots of heavy machinery and when I get service like this I no longer support the brand or i pay far less and expect no service. 180hr x15 for sale.

Last edited by ktm9900; 03-09-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 PM
MC Maniac

You're going to sell it with a broken tank? I would honestly cut it out and replace it with a sac. I mean your boats out of warranty, I wouldnt have expected them to replace mine when it broke if I wouldn't have gotten the extended warranty. Did you ever place sacs on top of it?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I would be upset - FWIW - but I wouldn't dump the boat for a Water container gone wrong. The the stupid thing out and put in a sac - they are cheap.... I have read here that people take out static ballast and install sacs to add storage when sac's empty...

I would have to disagree on the boat split. Unless dealer has a good way support deck when lifting and or lifting evenly - I would be afraid it could flex and spider cracks would develop... but I have been known to be wrong - occasionally.