Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2SS 2007
Send a message via MSN to hadzinak
Water resistant cover

Can anybody tell me if there is a specific reason why MC covers lack water resistance ? Whenever it rains it is as if I don't have a cover and someone could say that my cover gets soaked in water. Is there any serious disadvantage of using a 100% water resistant cover?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
I have ALWAYS been under the impression that it's not a cover unless it protects from the elements. Including water. I would make sure though, that you have adequate ventilation to keep things DRY; preventing mold.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
a few companies make waterproofer for covers. I'm still getting life out of my 10 year old cover with it. Before it leaked pretty good. Now not so much. You can find it at overtons or west marine. Oh and to answer the question you don't really want to "seal in moisture" but thats pretty hard to do with a cover imho.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
What I have found is if you store your boat on a lift over water the waterproof ones cause mildew. My MC cover has been on for 2 yrs and no mildew. I used to use a heavy non porous cover on a bayliner and it was a mildew factory. If you use the tent poles water won't get in.
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 02-05-2013, 01:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Also, I find that you need to spray the factory cover every couple years with a water-repellent. It won't make it like covering with plastic, but it still breathes and keeps the boat pretty dry in all but the hardest downpours.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I had the standard MC black cover and found it to be the best fitting cover I ever had. That was the good. The bad was that it was the worst cover I ever owned from a protection perspective. It left black marks on the seats and acted as if it wasn't there when it rained. This is all documented in multiple posts on this site. I tried using 303 waterproofing twice to see if I could seal it up with no luck. I finally ditched it for a Sunbrella cover from skiboatcovers.com and couldn't be happier. My dealer recommends this company/cover as an upgrade option to their customers from the MC cover.

As to fully waterproof materials.... If you go that route you have to install vents to keep the air moving. Quite some time ago I saw the results of a unvented vinyl cover on a boat. Anything wood in the boat was completely rotted in the course of just two years. IMO paying a couple hundred dollars more for Sunbrella is cheap insurance for a cover that should last you 7 - 10 years. The last Sunbrella cover I had from skiboatcovers.com was 6 years old when I sold the boat and was showing very little wear at the time. The moral of the story is that if you plan to keep the boat spend the money on the best material and cover you can possibly afford.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Treat a sunbrella cover every couple of years with 303 fabric guard and you will have a breathable cover that beads water. But you need to tent it if it is not one of the drum tight trailerable covers.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 02-18-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:28 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
My old boat had a Sharkskin cover. Cheaper alternative to Sunbrella. While it was 99% a dust cover in the shop, the times it did get rained on it was pretty waterproof. Never tested the UV resistance as the boat was stored indoors, but seemed like a good value and more waterproof than the OE MC covers.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN