Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #131  
Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 AM
thamax thamax is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 07 X-Star
Location: Northwest
Posts: 164
what prop is on right now size and pitch? maybe somebody knows what they ran with the Yanmar diesels back some years ago when MC had a short run of them or the current TDI diesels! was the ever a X-80 with twin Yanmars? i've seen twin LY6 but nothing bigger
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 07-10-2013, 11:43 AM
dmaxstore's Avatar
dmaxstore dmaxstore is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 2003 X80
Location: West Coast
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamax View Post
what prop is on right now size and pitch? maybe somebody knows what they ran with the Yanmar diesels back some years ago when MC had a short run of them or the current TDI diesels! was the ever a X-80 with twin Yanmars? i've seen twin LY6 but nothing bigger

I would love to know what the details on that prop are also. The current prop that was on the 8.1 and still on now is an OJ 14.75 x 17.5. A friend of mine is loaning us a 14x20 with a 180 cup for testing this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 07-10-2013, 12:45 PM
thamax thamax is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 07 X-Star
Location: Northwest
Posts: 164
That is a big change in size and pitch there is a yellow 05 x-star on eBay with a yanmar diesel no prop or spec pics maybe contact the seller for some insight. I think u have the power to spin a pretty large prop but picking the right pitch is tricky and cup size! Is it making 500ft pounds of troque but 1/3 slower
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM
dmaxstore's Avatar
dmaxstore dmaxstore is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 2003 X80
Location: West Coast
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamax View Post
That is a big change in size and pitch there is a yellow 05 x-star on eBay with a yanmar diesel no prop or spec pics maybe contact the seller for some insight. I think u have the power to spin a pretty large prop but picking the right pitch is tricky and cup size! Is it making 500ft pounds of troque but 1/3 slower

Currently making 360hp and 700ftlb's wich is pretty much stock power, we will probably bump that a bit also. Yes the loaner prop is a big jump, trial and error time.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Thrall's Avatar
Thrall Thrall is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Location: Eagle River, AK!
Posts: 3,731
The Yanmar has considerably less torque than the Dmax so not a good comparison.
I've seen 19.5 pitch props on the Lsa x45.
Jumping from 17.5 to 20 pitch should give you a few more mph at least.
Not sure how limited in dia the x80 is but I think much over 20" pitch on a 14" ish prop and you won't have enough surface area to take full advantage of the added pitch.

Very interesting awesome project. Keep up the good work.
__________________
'06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 PM
76S&S's Avatar
76S&S 76S&S is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Boat: 2002 X Star
Location: At the lake or on the way to the lake!
Posts: 1,696
I don't know for certain, but I would guess that the Yanmar doesn't turn nearly the rpm's of the D'max. So, I'm not sure that is a good comparison.
__________________
Being on the water is best, but when I'm not on the water I'm on TT.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 07-10-2013, 04:52 PM
thamax thamax is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 07 X-Star
Location: Northwest
Posts: 164
I understand they are totally different setups. rpms is everything on boats! all the gasers spin at 5-5200 rpms while the redline on this dmax is somewhere in the high 3000-4000k so alot of difference that is my point there. yanmar 6LP is rated up to 3800 rpms! they still build them check there website out yanmarmarine.com
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 PM
dmaxstore's Avatar
dmaxstore dmaxstore is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 2003 X80
Location: West Coast
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamax View Post
I understand they are totally different setups. rpms is everything on boats! all the gasers spin at 5-5200 rpms while the redline on this dmax is somewhere in the high 3000-4000k so alot of difference that is my point there. yanmar 6LP is rated up to 3800 rpms! they still build them check there website out yanmarmarine.com

The LMM Duramax has a Redline of 4700 rpm. We have limited the Redline through tuning to 3300. We increased the out put speed of the prop with the new V-drive ratio. More adjustment can be made with tuning and prop selection.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:55 PM
thamax thamax is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 07 X-Star
Location: Northwest
Posts: 164
Are you hitting 3300 rpms right now? where will you set the redline after tuning?
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 PM
jgraham37128 jgraham37128 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2012
Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Location: Center-Hill Lake / Southeast
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxstore View Post
The LMM Duramax has a Redline of 4700 rpm. We have limited the Redline through tuning to 3300. We increased the out put speed of the prop with the new V-drive ratio. More adjustment can be made with tuning and prop selection.
I would call Eric at OJ props I bet he will know exactly what you need.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 AM.