Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-22-2017, 11:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar 200 vrs
Help me identify Weird noise coming from front of motor

1998 maristar 200 vrs
mx plus 350 chevy TBI

Boat is new to me. been out about 5 times so far everything is been great.
yesterday we got out on the water and i noticed a weird sound coming from the engine that would come and go away intermittently.

Sounds like its coming from either the engine water pump for the fresh water pump impeller?

we ran the boat all evening anyhow like that i just kept an eye on it.

i haven't replaced the raw water impeller yet puller just showed in the mail so its on the to do list. curious if the noise could be coming from the impeller?

boat stayed at normal temp all day 160-170 degrees.

link below to water video you can hear when the sound comes and goes in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGfks-KAa3k

thanks for the help
Old 05-22-2017, 11:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 Mastercraft S&S, 2001 Prostar 209
I would be pull the raw water pump, remove the impeller and check the bearings, see if it's smooth or gritty feeling. Could be the circulation pump or alternator as well. Remove the belt and spin each accessory. My raw water pump has been making a clicking noise and just ordered a new one. Mine also moves alot more. Here's the video of mine.
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.F2BF8B0A-481C-4ACE-85D2-4C42252CCF81.mov (20.00 MB, 21 views)
Old 05-22-2017, 12:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar 200 vrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex599 View Post
I would be pull the raw water pump, remove the impeller and check the bearings, see if it's smooth or gritty feeling. Could be the circulation pump or alternator as well. Remove the belt and spin each accessory. My raw water pump has been making a clicking noise and just ordered a new one. Mine also moves alot more. Here's the video of mine.
crazy i was just reading your thread and comparing our videos. i can see ur pump does move a lot. i shut my motor down and tried to move/ shaft pump pumps and both appeared to be tight. just so weird that the noise comes and goes most of the videos ive seen its usually just a steady sound.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14 LY6
Put a mechanics stethoscope on it so you can find the location of the noise. For a cheap as they are, they work really well.