Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
HELP! Check Engine After Fuel Pump Change

Ok, so my fuel pump died. big surprise. boat is a 2007 xstar with the MCX

This was friday night, had to get a tow in. Nothing i tried worked. Depressed the shader valve and gas would come out, but its not nearly enough pressure. Fuel pump also sounded pathetic when trying to prime.

get the new unit from CincyMC, install it (which was actually much easier than i anticipated). prime it a few times, she fires RIGHT up, much quicker than before. smooth idle, oil pressure is about 40 PSI, temp is still a little low (100 at this point) and volts are holding just above 13.

BAM. check engine. turn it off, turn it back on, same thing. Call cincymc, tell me to see if the check engine is throwing into limp mode. turn her back on, rev up to about 3k rpms, get the check engine but it doesnt throw me into limp mode.

i figure it must be one of those stored codes and i need to go through and do 3 warm up/cool down cycles... problem was we were out for quite awhile last night and it intermittently threw the check engine. I watched the gauges like a hawk and all systems seemed normal.

pulled a rider, did a WOT run, all performance benchmarks seen fine. I really dont get it. time to hook it up to a dicom?

o2 sensor?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
I don't guess any more. Got a cheap code reader for the boat (95 MC) and one for my vehicles. No more running to Auto Zone to get scanned.

I don't like the paper clip method because it can always lead to someone jumpering out the wrong pins and doing more damage.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
MC Devotee

problems with code readers are they're all compatable with MEFI 4, and not MEFI 5 (which I have)
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
problems with code readers are they're all compatable with MEFI 4, and not MEFI 5 (which I have)
The CodeMate that I got only goes up to MEFI 4. Keep your eyes open on ebay because I was looking at a Techmate scan tool and missed bidding on it because I was making sure I could use it on my 95. The basic tool sells for around $400 and you may have to get a software upgrade. I believe it went for $150 on ebay and it came with the case and all of the adapters.

Yours might require a trip to the dealer.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 AM
MC Devotee

ok...

thinking about it - could something i did to the fuel pump be causing this? high fuel pressure? low fuel pressure? worth taking the pump out again?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

also... when was trying to start the boat with the bad fuel pump i put it in neutral and gave it almost full throttle. It sounded like it wanted to start a couple times but would die. could i have fouled some plugs? wouldnt i notice that though?
Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 PM
MC Devotee

ok, so had a local guy scan it. throwing codes 65601, 65602, ans 65610. all have to do with the ETC/TPS sensor. Problem is, if it were really faulting i'd be thrown into limp mode every time which isnt happening. Loose connection or something?

figure i'm good to continue running...
Old 07-12-2012, 02:12 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
loose connection I bet... since you were working around there... were any wired strained? something moved...change in ground...
Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
That mcx does not have catalytic convertor does it? I believe 08 was first yr of cats. I ask because the temp sensor in the early indmar cats slowly have increased resistance with time and eventually cause an error code and then finally limp mode. Known issue that indmar covers as a warranty item. Reqiures ecm reprogram. I believe the reprogram simply tells the ecm to ignore the cat temp sensors.

Last edited by vision; 07-12-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision View Post
That mcx does not have catalytic convertor does it? I believe 08 was first yr of cats. I ask because the temp sensor in the early indmar cats slowly have increased resitance with time and eventually cause an error code and then finally limp mode. Known issue that indmar covers as a warranty item. Reqiures ecm reprogram. I believe the reprogram simply tells the ecm to ignore the cat temp sensors.
pretty sure it was 07 for cats with mcx.