Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-21-2016, 09:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 230VRS 2003 350MCX
2003 Maristar MCX Overheating

I'm going to apologize in advance for the long winded post. I just don't want to leave out any details.

New boat to me by the way.....

The boat would idle on the trailer just fine at 160. I put it in the water for the first time today.
I idled at the dock for a good 10min at 160. All seemed well. I got out of the wakeless area and got on the gas. Everything seemed fine for the first 3 min and then the boat went into limp mode. About 210 on the guage. I shut it down and let it cool a bit. I then tried to idle to see if the temp would come back down. It didn't. My first thought was the impeller. Lord knows I've changed enough of them on my last boat. Got the boat home and started checking things out.

The impeller looks absolutely perfect (the previous owner said they had just changed it) by the looks of it, I believe them. I then checked the thermostat and it looked a bit crusty and seemed to stick a bit. So, I replaced it. I then checked the inlet side of the trans cooler for any debris. It was perfectly clean. I pulled all the hoses from the thru hull fitting to the pump. I pulled the hoses from the pump up the the thermostat housing. Everything is perfectly clear.

So, I fire up the boat on the trailer and I've got no water coming out the exhaust and the temp starts rising. I pop the outlet hose off the pump and it is not pumping any water out at all.
At this point a grab a beer and go float in the pool for a bit. Here's the great part. A bit later I crawl under the boat and damn if there isn't a piece of duct tape stuck over the thru hull fitting.

The bunks on my trailer seem to cover about half of the thru hull fitting. So I'm assuming about half of the fitting was covered in duct tape. Here's my thought, being half covered was enough water flow to keep the boat cool and happy at idle but not at 3000-3500rpm and I have now somehow fried the pump and it will no longer pump any water at all. If the pump housing is clear and has no debris stuck in it and the impeller is good, what is there to fry?

My boat has a "T" fitting under the backseat by the transmission that you connect a garden hose to. Is this normal/factory?

I'm pretty sure that's everything. Hopefully some of you have some thoughts on this.
Thank you,
Keith
Old 08-21-2016, 10:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X9
Maybe I missed it but why was there duct tape covering it in the first place?
Old 08-21-2016, 11:23 PM
TT Newbie

Not a clue. But I'm sure that's why I overheated.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:31 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
Not a clue. But I'm sure that's why I overheated.
Prior owner is a bad person is my guess
Old 08-22-2016, 12:11 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Geez kyle alway quick to judge.. maybe a call to PO and ask why
Old 08-22-2016, 12:33 AM
TT Newbie

I did. They said they have no idea why it was there.

The question is, if there was enough flow (with the tape on) to be happy idling at the dock, why would the engine not cool off at idle after the overheat? I understand not having enough flow at speed but now it gets hot just idling. What could be damaged?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:19 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Duct tape over the hole to keep critters out during the winter? I have seen that in a few winterizing guides.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:38 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Geez kyle alway quick to judge.. maybe a call to PO and ask why
If you purchased a boat with duct tape over the inlet wouldn't you be suspicious?
Old 08-22-2016, 11:04 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleNowad View Post
If you purchased a boat with duct tape over the inlet wouldn't you be suspicious?
So what I hear you saying is, you think the seller sold the boat and put duck tape over the inlet so the new owner would blow it up?