Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
Windshield tint

What are your thoughts? I've been playing around with the idea of tinting my black x1, but can't make up my mind. What does it cost? are there any benefits considering you don't have a roof, or is it just an aesthetic option.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I tinted that glass on mine last Spring, I guess I like it ok. The only real advantage is aesthetic....actually can be hard to see through while under way, if you sit down in your seat. Cost me $160 at a tint/audio store...pretty good deal I think...if you don't like it, you could always just take it off real easy like.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Looks cool - other than that, I don't see much benefit. It could be harder to look through, but the only time I ever look through ours while driving is if we get caught in the rain and that has only been a couple of times ever.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X45 6.2L
Getting my boat done this week. I had it on my last Malibu and loved it. 20% is what I had on my Malibu and what I'm getting on MC. It makes the boat look great and nice driving with during hott summer months. It can be hard to see through when riding at night. I will put it on every boat I have.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 maristar 200
What about a lighter tint? 50%? For the glare off the water. in the summer months we do a lot of night cruising to dinner etc so I wouldn't want it blacked out...
Old 02-13-2013, 12:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
Does anybody have pics of the different types of tint?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Whatever you do don't do 5%! I had planned on 20% which I thought would be perfect but I always have 5% on my trucks and my tint guy put 5% on the boat.. Oops.. It looks good, but you can't look through it, gotta look over

Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x30
I agree on the 20% tint. I had it done on my previous boat and loved it.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
sunrise and sunset skiing will be compromised.

Wear sunglasses...

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 02-13-2013, 03:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X45 LY6 2004 X-30 MCX-Sold
Have 20% film on our current boat and also had the same on our 04 X30. Really love the look. With that being said, it does hamper your vision through the windshield, especially during low light hours such as early and late. If you have concerns I would go with 35% (light, and legal on most cars) or 20% which is darker but not as dark as the 5% (typically called limo tint).

If I recall, I paid close to 300.00 to have it done both times. Be selective when choosing a
tint shop. Try to make sure they have the facility to do it indoors, because debris in the air or dust can make or break a tint job. The guys that did our X30 did it outside and there were dirt spots all in the tint (dirt shows up as white specks). The guy that did our X45 did it indoors. It looks better. Another MAJOR concern should be daylight showing around the edges. This happens when the film is not trimmed close enough to the rubber gasket holding the glass in. Both our boats have it. Some say that they can do the tint job without daylight showing around the edges, I have my reservations so you probably could expect some light showing. On our X30 the guys used a thin vinyl striping tape around all the edges on the outer side of the windshield in an effort to block the light spots from showing from the inside. On the X45 there is no vinyl tape but there are still light cracks that show. Also verify that they WILL NOT trim away the gasket on the inside in an effort to make the edge of the film slide up under the gasket not allowing daylight to show, I think this could affect the integrity of the glass being sealed in. Also make sure that the guys have done boats before. The extreme curve in the class is VERY diffucult to get the tint to conform to. They will use heat guns and in some cases a butane blow torch to heat the film and glass.

One last thing. In both cases it took the guys at least 5 hours to do the job. The second guy claimed to have done all kinds of boats and promised me the boat in 3 hours. However it took closer to 6. When asking him about why it took so long he said the windshield on a MC was curved more than most boats. Heck I don't know. I can tell you that your black X1 will look great if you decide to do it. Sorry for rambling on.