Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Matercraft 205V
Buying first Mastercraft - Dealer NIGHTMARE

After a year of looking and saving, I thought I had found the perfect boat. 2001 xstar, advertised as the 330hp motor, 290 hours, mint condition, etc. I call the seller which happened to be a dealer, and saw the boat in person while it was being "detailed". Did a quick look over, talked some numbers, but couldn't agree on a price. I leave and he calls me back and we agree to 22500 out the door, if I pay for the service from the shop next door. Ok, I agree (all verbal) and the seller wants a 500 dollar deposit from me to hold it while its services before I take it on the water.

I give the seller the deposit, but make sure to use my credit card in case it goes south. Again, zero paperwork, all verbal. Boat is serviced and we take it out. Off the bat I notice the motor is the 310, it has 350 hours, it has no cover, dirty all over, the ballast doesn't fill or empty, and the perfect pass isn't engaging. We take it back to the dealer and I ask the owner to fix the non working items and mention the boat isn't close to as described. He says I'm welcome to fix it myself, but he's not fixing anything. Argument ensues and I tell him it's a totally different boat than advertised and I want my deposit back. His co worker steps in and offers to fix the items not working or missing. Alright I calm down a bit, and I tell him I can pick it up Monday since I'm on a business trip till Sunday.

Thursday he calls me and says everything is ready to pick up. I said ok, we'll take care of it Monday. He starts demanding an additional 1k deposit since he has "people lining up to buy it". No way, he has enough of my money at this point and he's extremely pushy. When final price is mentioned, he's saying its 23500+ out the door. No way, I tell him to I'm getting out of the deal and want my deposit. He says he's holding it to pay the boat shop for the maintenance (oil and impeller etc) and the rest for the test drive! Yeah right! It's a completely different boat than advertised, totally ragged, equipment not working, and you're gonna hold my deposit?!? Now the boat shop is calling me to pay them for the service. I finally called back and explained I never requested ANY service other than a compression test which I agree is part of my due diligence.

Has anyone heard of someone this shady?

Nevertheless I called visa and disputed the charges. They are 100% on my side especially since there is ZERO written agreement between us. If it comes back on Craigslist I'm going to be sure to post a warning to any interested buyers.

ps- tracked down the previous owner he bought it from 2 weeks ago who told me the trans had water in it, shaft was pitted, and needed a rebuild. Interesting especially since the fluid looked brand new!

End rant
Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 PM
TT Newbie

FYI Dealer is "A Small Fishing Boat" in Sacramento.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
Saw your post on another forum. Aside from saying that stinks all I can say is be patient. The right boat will come along. Be diligent about your search, maybe even contact local dealers and let them know what you're looking for. The right boat will come along and you'll be able to look back on this and chuckle (maybe). Best of luck.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 02-11-2013, 03:48 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Get it in writing...I tell my customers NO DEAL unless it is in writing from us. Sometimes that 20 min delay allows them to rethink. It protects you and them...get it in writing

Jim@BAWS

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@BAWS View Post
Get it in writing...I tell my customers NO DEAL unless it is in writing from us. Sometimes that 20 min delay allows them to rethink. It protects you and them...get it in writing

Jim@BAWS
Or put it on a Visa
Old 02-11-2013, 03:55 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
Or put it on a Visa
NOPE...will not even do that unless there is a contract and it is all clear.!

(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@BAWS View Post
NOPE...will not even do that unless there is a contract and it is all clear.!
Are you talking about as a seller or as a buyer? A seller who doesn't put contracts in writing is an idiot. As a buyer, I wouldn't have signed a contract that included a "non refundable" deposit as the seller claims. I will, however provide a deposit backed by a credit card on a verbal agreement.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
I think you're both right - put it in legally binding contract, and leave your deposit with a credit card.

If you couldn't reach agreement on a legally binding contract at a specific price that included a refundable deposit subject to a water test... then you would have walked away at the start, and not suffered through the rest of seller's pranks
Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM
MC Addict

As a dealer...which I am. I want it ALL clear...so nothing can come back and haunt me or the buyer! "Oh you said this would be done" That is the worst feeling in the world when that line it used!

Everyone out there wants the best deal possible...and wants to be taken care of. i understand that, but if I did not put it in writing, first shame on me!

An inexperinced person...like the one you are dealing with should have NEVER presented that engine as a 330 LTR. You as an experienced MasterCraft person should have maybe seen by the photos that it WAS NOT an LTR...Correct?

BLOGS and postings like this can come across to folks in different ways. Protect yourself...don't rely on VISA to do that...get it in writing! Jim@BAWS

(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Sounds like you got tossed a tad, but please explain the VISA situation. Are they going to refund your money and on what grounds. Just curious as to the situation and whether I can use it to my advantage in future.