Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Maristar
Brand new to the forum, ballast questions

Hello everyone, I have been reading threads for about a week now, and this is my first post to the site.

I have a 1994 maristar 200 DD that I'll be using for wakeboarding and wake surfing this summer. I know that I will need to weight it to some extent but what is a reasonable amount?

Regarding the installs on the sets out there, do they need to have a hard install, ie permanent placement, and it pumps out the bilge, or do you have the option of taking the bags and pumps out as needed, and relatively easily. I will not be doing water sports every time we take the boat out, and I know my wife will be pissed if there are bags that she'll need to step over every time we go out.

How are the pumps installed, do I tap into the power from the battery, do I have to drill inlet valves into the bottom of my boat, etc. Is there any shops anyone knows about that handles installs of ballast systems in Washington state?

Yes I know these are about as newbie questions as it gets, but I really want my son to have a good experience wakeboarding and surfing, so I'm doing my best to give that to him, even though it involves asking basic questions.

Thanks to everyone for your responses and suggestions!!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
There are a lot of posts that cover these topics in detail...however ...
There are a number of ways you can solve your questions...

Option A: DYI - Q&D quick and dirty ...

Not really dirty, certainly quick and easy. Buy a few sacs and get a few over the side of the boat 12v tsunami pumps. This will force you to be stationary to fill the bags as the pump needs to be submersed and if your driving it will tend to rise up above the water, suck air and stop pumping. Draining can be done while underway as it's just the hose that hangs over the side of the boat.

In this case, take a look at various ballast bag vendors ...Ronix has released some bags that fill a lot quicker with higher volume pumps.

Option B DYI - Thru-Hull with Jabsco or Johnson pump from wakemakers.com or other sites. Wakemakers has strong customer support, very knowledgable staff and contributes to this forum regularly. The thru hull allows you to fill while underway and you can permanently plumb bags or hard tanks to the pumps and is less of a hassle...Typically one pump per thru hull, however some thru hulls support two pumps. ...Look up CantRepeat, he posted a lot of great information on installing a thru hull.

Option C - Dealer or Shop installed

There is a Super Sac'r system is similar to what you could buy from WakeMakers. They have a few options for filling with timers and hard tanks (as does wakemakers). They just released a HT version that has one thru-hull with two Jabsco pumps on timers.

The shop installed options would run you about $3-500.00, closer to the latter.

Finally, search the forum for folks that have posted their setup for surfing and wake boarding ...

Small edit:

Based on your desires, go with ballast bags, once you're done, drain and put away. The tsunami pumps plug into the standard 12v (cigarette lighter) style socket. If you aren't going to use them often, this is what many people do. As you start to use them more you'll migrate to a thru hull system. Not much lost investment as the tsunami pumps aren't overly expensive $70-80. Give some thought on the bags you select, see if you can find someone or a post that describes ways to conceal them (keep wife happy) in the event you move to a thru hull.

The other thru-hull pumps should have a switch and fuse/breaker wired to the battery. Consideration should be given to the location for servicing and waterline (above it). It will cost about 4-500 for all the plumbing in a DYI implementation and closer to 1,000 for a dealer installed....I could be off by 10% in my estimates.

Last edited by KahunaCraft; 02-19-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by laketappsguy View Post
Hello everyone, I have been reading threads for about a week now, and this is my first post to the site.

I have a 1994 maristar 200 DD that I'll be using for wakeboarding and wake surfing this summer. I know that I will need to weight it to some extent but what is a reasonable amount?

Regarding the installs on the sets out there, do they need to have a hard install, ie permanent placement, and it pumps out the bilge, or do you have the option of taking the bags and pumps out as needed, and relatively easily. I will not be doing water sports every time we take the boat out, and I know my wife will be pissed if there are bags that she'll need to step over every time we go out.

How are the pumps installed, do I tap into the power from the battery, do I have to drill inlet valves into the bottom of my boat, etc. Is there any shops anyone knows about that handles installs of ballast systems in Washington state?

Yes I know these are about as newbie questions as it gets, but I really want my son to have a good experience wakeboarding and surfing, so I'm doing my best to give that to him, even though it involves asking basic questions.

Thanks to everyone for your responses and suggestions!!
Wakemakers.com Give Jason a call if you are looking for someone to do the work for you or you just want to buy good gear.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Maristar
Wonderful, thank you for your replies. I know I can fit two bags in my back storage area, and 1 either under the bow seats, or possibly in the ski locker. Do the pumps that come with the bags have pretty long cords to be able to reach the dash mounted 12v cigarette receptacle, with enough length to get the tubes into the bags, with the pump in the water?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

The cord is 12 feet long which is plenty. Hose is 9 feet long. When you call wakemakers make sure to ask for the teamtalk member discount. I think it's 10%.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacx2 View Post
The cord is 12 feet long which is plenty. Hose is 9 feet long. When you call wakemakers make sure to ask for the teamtalk member discount. I think it's 10%.
Man, i'm glad you told me that. I am about to order a Tsunami pump, so that should save me $10 or so. Thanks. Every little bit counts!