Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-14-2005, 05:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1
Steering hard to turn...

Iím having a problem with my steering. When the boat is idling the steering is easy to turn and when I get on plane, the steering get pretty tough (I think that would be normal because of the water pressure).

Say I am turning around to the left to pick up a fallen rider. I slow down, crank the wheel around and start to accelerate, if I give it too much gas, it is impossible to get the steering back to center unless I back off the throttle. The same goes for any left turn while the throttle is forward and the wheel is turned about half a turn.

When I make a right turn it isnít as bad but still noticeable. Any ideas on what causes that? Is this normal?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:37 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Might be a little prop cavitation aeration of the prop (just spitballing). Have you lubed the cable lately? We've noticed that the 98 PS 205 in our family does not turn around very well one way versus another when we turn around to pick up a fallen skier. I've not noticed it on my boat.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1
I havent lubed it in a while. I guess I'll do that in hopes it will make a difference. I doubt it though.

Im going to do a small restoration this winter so maybe it can wait till then.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
Have you greased the rudder box?

Your description of tight steering while under power, & while the rudder is turned at an angle with prop wash putting pressure against it, would indicate a tight or dry rudder bushing. I had this problem with my tristar & a friend did too. We found that greasing the rudder bushing helped a lot.(the grease fitting is on the bronze bushing inside the boat, right next to the mounting flange.) However we finallly fixed both for good by replacing the rudder box---bushing. As I remember the cost was about $150 or so. I polished my rudder shaft with emery cloth while I had it out. Steers great now! Been 2 years since I fixed it. Before we fixed them we thought that tristars just didn't steer well. Wrong.

J. Patterson
Trussville, AL