Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2016, 07:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2012 ski nautique 200, OB, team edition, 343 PCM
Looking for a change?

I currently have my 2012 Ski Nautique 200 OB listed for sale on Planet Nautique. We're not skiing as much as in the past, but also are doing a lot more surfing and boarding. It's starting to get real tiring filling and moving around 3 big sacs to keep everyone happy so I'm looking to change to a more "crossover" style boat. The sport 200 Nautique is a great boat, but not giving me a lot more room inside. The 210 works for me, with space, overall size of boat. Looking to spend $50-$63,000 when I sell my 200. Mastercraft seems to have a lot of different models over the past few years including the x14v, x15, x2, that could also fit my needs. Looking for something for doing some free-skiing, no course, 30-34 range 15-22 off works, surfing, and some boarding. Nothing crazy, just fun recreational stuff. Any feedback from you folks would be helpful for when I start looking. Who knows, you might convert me. I see some familiar names here on TT.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
My recommendation would be an X10 with Gen2. You might not be able to find one in your price range so an X2 with Gen2 would be my second recommendation. I don't think you will find an X15 or X14V with Gen2, but if it has SurfAssist then that could be an option. If you want a crossover boat with a good surf wake (and not having to deal with filling and draining bags) then you need to get one with Gen2 or SurfAssist.

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)
Old 12-28-2016, 09:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2012 ski nautique 200, OB, team edition, 343 PCM
I may not have described my needs correctly. I don't have any problems filling ballast. A boat with a factory set up, even a plug and play on top of is not an issue. What I deal with now, is a 500lb sac in place of my rear seat, two 260lb sacs that I double up, port or starboard for surfing, then move them if somebody is riding "goofy", and then for boarding, I keep the 500 across the transom, and now put a 260 on each side of the engine. Plus moving people around. I get tired just thinking about it! Love the boat but.....
Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-2
I would take a good look at the x2 or x15. Ideally with gen 2 surf tabs, but that will be tough to get in your price range. A ghetto gate will work if you can't fit gen 2 in the budget. Make sure you get the attitude plate option. It's a must for a good ski wake. Setting it around 70% gives optimum ski wake, in my opinion, at least on the x2.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2016, 10:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 x20
X2, x10 or x30 with gen 2 should fit your needs quite well. Just pick how much room you want and if you want pickle fork or traditional bow and you're there. For 95% of us these boats are going to perform beyond our skill sets and offer more than enough convenience and ballast with the piggyback systems. Also remember that anything that does one watersport really well will give up some in the other sports. Slalom boats and wakesurf boats are at odds with one another. Go modern v-drive and you should be good. Happy hunting
Old 12-28-2016, 10:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
I can't speak to the X2, but our neighbour has an X-15, and we have an X-14V. They are both crossover's, with the 14V being tuned more to the ski side, and the x-15 being more tuned to the wake side of the crossover market.

The 14V is right for our family because we are a bunch of avid skiers that want to surf. Our neighbours are a bunch of wake boarders who want to ski recreationally, so the X-15 works for them.

On the X-14V, you still need to fill up both fat sacs and ballast tanks to get a reasonable surf wave... and it is a reasonable wave. While the X-15 has a better surf wave, I really don't like skiing behind it.

The DIY surf gate makes a world of difference to the X-14V. Not only is the wave better, but we don't need to move ballast when we switch to goofy riders - we just move the gate. And all the fat sacs are under the seats, so we don't trip over them or lose seating. Raising the platform also makes a difference to the wave, but not nearly as much as the DIY surf gate.

Neither Gen 2 nor Go Surf Assist will fit on the X-14V transom. Someone is trying to retrofit a gen 1, but I have not heard how that went yet.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post
I can't speak to the X2, but our neighbour has an X-15, and we have an X-14V. They are both crossover's, with the 14V being tuned more to the ski side, and the x-15 being more tuned to the wake side of the crossover market.

The 14V is right for our family because we are a bunch of avid skiers that want to surf. Our neighbours are a bunch of wake boarders who want to ski recreationally, so the X-15 works for them.

On the X-14V, you still need to fill up both fat sacs and ballast tanks to get a reasonable surf wave... and it is a reasonable wave. While the X-15 has a better surf wave, I really don't like skiing behind it.

The DIY surf gate makes a world of difference to the X-14V. Not only is the wave better, but we don't need to move ballast when we switch to goofy riders - we just move the gate. And all the fat sacs are under the seats, so we don't trip over them or lose seating. Raising the platform also makes a difference to the wave, but not nearly as much as the DIY surf gate.

Neither Gen 2 nor Go Surf Assist will fit on the X-14V transom. Someone is trying to retrofit a gen 1, but I have not heard how that went yet.

+2 on the mission delta or a DIY suck gate. No more moving people and bags all over the place.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, X7, 2004, Yellow
Coming from a Mastercraft guy.... the sport 200 is the best crossover I've been on. That would be my buy personally.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, X7, 2004, Yellow
A very good friend of mine has one. And it blows my mind that we can ski 34-36 mph at 22 and 28 off then pump up the ballast by the push of a button and be Wakeboarding and surfing with a decent wake.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-2
Isn't the nautique 200 pretty cramped inside for space? It will still be better than his DD, but won't be as roomy as the other suggestions. Only bring it up because one of his complaints was space, but maybe that's because he had get sacs everywhere.