Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2017, 01:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar 200 vrs
driving with ballast questions

so initially i thought my boat was really good out of the hole and drove awesome with no ballast. since then i have added some ballast about 1400lbs 500 in lockers and 400 in ski locker...

so while trying to surf it was hard to get out of the hole but ok since we only go 10-11mph.

wake boarding was pretty bad took forever to get the nose down, hard to keep speed turning the perfect pass had its work cutout for it for sure.

6 people in boat 1 being towed.

i would like to upgrade to 750s in the rear lockers soon but worried about if the boat can even handle it since shes having her work cut out for her right now already.

top speed is 42 mph which i don't care to go that fast would rather have more tq and a lower speed.

do i need a new prop? if so does anyone have any recommendations? i believe i just have a stock 4 blade prop..

boat is a 98 200vrs

also i noticed the wheel seems extremely hard to turn when ballasted vs being empty i'm guessing that's normal.

thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2017, 02:26 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 84 S & S
Look at your prop. Write down the numbers and call Eric at OJ Prop. He will help you select the correct prop. You will lose some top speed but it will have more torque, you're correct. Regarding the steering, is the cable getting pinched by the ballast bag? You need to check because steering should remain about the same IMO.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X1
Agree to check into the steering. The wheel should feel the same but of course the boat will be less responsive. A new prop is definitely a good way to go with extra ballast. When you start reaching your ballast limit for the current prop you will likely notice an inability to consistently hold speed before the holeshot is the issue. A new prop will come out of the hole better but it will also allow the speed to maintain more steady when loaded down.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:08 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210 View Post
Look at your prop. Write down the numbers and call Eric at OJ Prop. He will help you select the correct prop. You will lose some top speed but it will have more torque, you're correct. Regarding the steering, is the cable getting pinched by the ballast bag? You need to check because steering should remain about the same IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Corey View Post
Agree to check into the steering. The wheel should feel the same but of course the boat will be less responsive. A new prop is definitely a good way to go with extra ballast. When you start reaching your ballast limit for the current prop you will likely notice an inability to consistently hold speed before the hole-shot is the issue. A new prop will come out of the hole better but it will also allow the speed to maintain more steady when loaded down.
ok cool ya ill reach out to OJ. i definitely noticed the steering tho it wasn't that way when i first started going out but i never added ballast till now. but its strange how at idle the wheel turns so easily and freely but while underway it does not want to turn well.

i checked the rudder when we pulled out last night and it seemed to have a little left to right play maybe 1/4" is this normal?

ya as far as speed control i can tell the perfect pass is having a hell of time trying to hit my marked speed and stay there so i no its probably time for a prop like you said. makes sense.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
There is way too much going on here than one single remedy. For sure an new prop is probably in order. Especially getting to the 1500-2k in ballast range. You also need to balance your weight. You have to add some bow weight to offset the rear weight as well. You can't just keep addding more weight to the rear thinking it will improve your wake. You gotta add some up front too. 60/40 ration rear to front is a good start.

What version of PP do you have? There are so many minor adjustments you need to make the more weight you add to get pp dialed in properly. It just won't hold speed with the push of a button. The NN value and kdw value need to be adjusted to the ballast weight for optimal performance

EDITED FOR THE MAJOR TYPOS SORRY

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique

Last edited by swatguy; 06-07-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:45 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
There is way too much going on here than one single remedy. For sure an new prop is probably in order. Especially getting to the 1500-2k in ballast range. You also need to balance your weight. You have to add some bow weight to offset the rear weight as well. You can't just keep addding more weight to the rear thinking it will improve your wake. You gotta add some up front too. 60/40 ration rear to front is a good start.

What version of PP do you have? There are so many minor adjustments though need to make the. Ore weight you add to get pp dialed in properly. It just won't hold speed with the push of a button. The new value and kdw value need to be adjusted to the ballast weight for optimal performance
you know to be honest i think its just the perfect pass pro? looks like the one in the center of this picture.So i need more weight in the bow. i was thinking when i upgrade to 750s in the rear i can toss one of the 500s i have now in the bow walk way.

and to be honest with the perfect pass i haven't messed with it much just set the speed and let it do its thing.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2017, 07:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
With the newer props you might not lose too much top end. Agree talk to Erik at oj
Old 06-07-2017, 08:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC 2002 X30
Call Eric at OJ
Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
You definitely need to get a new prop. It will make a big difference.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
Most likely the digital wakebboard pro then. Guessing the 6.5 NG software version . Go to PP website and download the Manual. You're nn should be around 60 and your kdw , at least right now with your weight and people should be around 185. That should get your more consistent pull and give you good basline to start and make minor adjustments.

The NN value is how many times the paddle wheel rotates before the pp makes and adjustment to the speed. The KDW is how aggressive that adjustment is( throttle response ) to high and you contanstl find the boat surging past the speed and then below the speed. Too low and the boat willl not adjust quick enough. The more weight the higher the kdw

Wry rarely have I ever seen a kdw above 200 required. 160-190 is usually the sweet spot.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique