Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 X15
'06 X45 w/MCX 350 hp - is that enough HP?

New to the forum and MC.

I am looking at a used '06 X45 with 116 hours and wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on the MCX 350hp engine. I have some reservations about this MCX not having enough power for the large and heavy X45. We are not an expert wake boarding family, however we love to be on the water and tube/wake board/knee board. Our family boat will be stored on a lift and use in a fresh water lake with little chop.

Thank you in advance for your comments.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
General consensus is no, it's really not ideal for power. I'd say not enough for sure if you were at any sort of altitude or running heavy ballast for wakeboarding.
For general duty, surfing, boarding yes it will work.
You can prop it down quite a bit and get a decent hole shot at the expense of cruising rpms and top speed, or vice versa.
If the price is right, reflecting the smaller engine, I'd go for it. 5.7 is bulletproof and the 45 is a darn nice boat.
By comparison an 06 X45 (MS245 with X pkg) just sold on here, 8.1L low hrs, was listed at 50k.

Price dependent on condition, hours and options.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 X15
Thrall, thanks for the reply. Here are the specs on the MC X45, seems like a good deal, but I'm new and unsure.....

06' X45, 120 hours, 1 owner, all service records up to date, boat in very good condition, some color fading on transom (due to sun fade). (I have yet to have an independent tech inspect the boat). Asking $47,500.

While I would prefer the 8.1L, getting a good price and low hours could be a valid trade off.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
Honestly, you can't ever have enough hp according to most but for the average boater or boarder I wouldn't even think to upgrade to an 8.1 your fuel burn will cost you double to go boating IMO
Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
07 X45 with 8.1 sold on ebay for $50k with less than 200hrs
IMO most fuel burn is done while getting boat to plane and the 8.1 will do it easier with little effort opposed to the MCX requiring more throttle and more time to get on plane
310 RTP and 350 MCX just not enough hp for any MC more than 22' or 7000 lbs
Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripple View Post
Thrall, thanks for the reply. Here are the specs on the MC X45, seems like a good deal, but I'm new and unsure.....

06' X45, 120 hours, 1 owner, all service records up to date, boat in very good condition, some color fading on transom (due to sun fade). (I have yet to have an independent tech inspect the boat). Asking $47,500.

While I would prefer the 8.1L, getting a good price and low hours could be a valid trade off.
Transom color fade is not a big deal if you're handy with a buffer. Probably means he kept it under a canopy and the back end caught some sun. My X2 was faded like that when I bought it. Couple hrs with the buffer cleaned it right up.
Asking price if it's pretty loaded is only a few thousand more than a comparable X2 and a few thousand less than a comparable X15, so sounds like a decent deal.
I only have experience with a X45 with the SC6.2 LSA engine and it moved out!
Best bet, take it for a lap, load it down, see if it's enough engine or not.
Note, prop selection will make a HUGE difference. Find out what's on the boat and if possible get a higher or lower pitch prop to swap and compare to.
I can't imagine it is that bad or MC would not have even put it in the boat to begin with.
The X45 is arguably MC's best layout/do it all boat (exc skiing of course). Best looking too!
And 120hrs is brand new, essentially.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM
TT Newbie

I own a 2005 X-45 with the MCX 350 engine and an OJ 14.75 x 15.5 prop. We use it mainly for wakeboarding, hydrofoiling, and surfing. When running full factory ballast and a boat full (10-12 passengers), I've never felt like I'm lacking power in the hole shot. The engine does start to work a little too hard for my liking over 30 mph, but I don't really have any need for the higher speeds. Fuel economy seems really good with the MCX which I would imagine would suffer quite a bit with a larger engine. I've owned the boat for about 4 years and have had zero problems with the motor...it's solid.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
We have a hard time pushing a loaded Star with the MCX. I can't imagine pushing a loaded up 45 with it. I vote no if you plan in loading it up with people,ballast, and more ballast. if you plan on surfing a ton and loading it up to surf or if you are an advanced rider I would not go with the MCX in the 45

However if you plan on using the boat as more of a recreational do everything boat,not really a core wakeboat or surf boat all the time and throwing tons of extra ballast in the MCX will do fine. That price and description are pretty good, but keep in mind if and when you do want to sell the MCX will also limit it's buyers.

I will also argue about fuel consumption. Running a smaller engine at its higher rpm limits vs a larger engine at lower rpm's will yield pretty close to the same results at wake speed similar to what Snork mentioned. Once you get to around 30mph tho I can see the MCX doing a bit better while both boats are not loaded up all day long at cruising speeds.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Please all empty your ballast when you are not riding!!!!

Your local owners of 19' direct drives thank you and are sick of having to start their boats to turn the bows into your wakes.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I wouldn't get an MCX in a 45. You'll be running near full throttle most of the time, burning just as much fuel as an 8.1 and wearing out that engine sooner. For probably $5K more you could have the bigger engine and really use that boat to its full potential.