Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X Star
Making a shot-ski (need a ski)

Hey guys I am looking to make a shot-ski from an old slalom ski for up north. I have a few ideas on how I am going to go about it, but i am missing the main piece! Having not grown up water skiing I do not have any old slalom skis I could use and do not really know anyone I could ask. May poke around at my dealers boat show next week tho.

I was wondering if anyone of the many avid skiers on the board would be willing to sell me something cheap? I am looking for as colorful and outrageous as possible in graphics. Doesn't matter what kind of ski. Biggest thing is I would like it to be longer than 66".

My plans include 4 MasterCraft shot glasses and I am sure a decal or two. I am still contemplating the best way to secure (either permanently or temporarily) to the ski, but will research more as I get everything.

I am avidly searching craigslist etc. Obviously trying to stay very cheap. Thought this may be as good a place as any to start.

Thanks! Also feel free to post pictures of your shot-ski! I am in the early stages looking for ideas!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

This may have been better suited in the Off topic discussion
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlawler34 View Post
Hey guys I am looking to make a shot-ski from an old slalom ski for up north. I have a few ideas on how I am going to go about it, but i am missing the main piece! Having not grown up water skiing I do not have any old slalom skis I could use and do not really know anyone I could ask. May poke around at my dealers boat show next week tho.

I was wondering if anyone of the many avid skiers on the board would be willing to sell me something cheap? I am looking for as colorful and outrageous as possible in graphics. Doesn't matter what kind of ski. Biggest thing is I would like it to be longer than 66".

My plans include 4 MasterCraft shot glasses and I am sure a decal or two. I am still contemplating the best way to secure (either permanently or temporarily) to the ski, but will research more as I get everything.

I am avidly searching craigslist etc. Obviously trying to stay very cheap. Thought this may be as good a place as any to start.

Thanks! Also feel free to post pictures of your shot-ski! I am in the early stages looking for ideas!
I don't have one yet (but I intend to make one). The best way I have seen to get the shot glasses to stay on the ski was to use those rubber chair leg caps like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...AMDMZSWEY07GG5

Measure a shot glass and buy the feet so you have to press the glass into the open end of the end caps. Being rubber, they'll "stick" and wont fall out when turned upside down, but you can still pull the glasses out to refill them, wash them, etc. Put those end caps on the ski so the open end faces up, and use a screw to fasten them to the ski. Now you've created a shot ski. Fill up your shot glasses, stick them in the "holders" (chair end caps), and get drunk!

As for the ski, check craigslist and just buy an old combo ski set. Wood would be even cooler. They can be had cheap.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Great idea on the rubber chair leg caps!

I have been looking at Ebay and looks like i can probably get something either wooden or composite for under $40.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 PM
MC Devotee

Where are you in the mid-west?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/spo/3594004165.html
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

I am in Michigan. Is that wood? I think we are leaning toward a wooden ski now. Found an old Connelly on Ebay I am going to bid on. 6 days left so far.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlawler34 View Post
I am in Michigan. Is that wood? I think we are leaning toward a wooden ski now. Found an old Connelly on Ebay I am going to bid on. 6 days left so far.
I don't think that one is wood. Looks like it but I think it's composite. Cheap though! If you find one around KC, I'd be happy to go grab it and ship it off to you.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I am still trying to figure out what a shot-ski is??? maybe I am being dense
Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
I am still trying to figure out what a shot-ski is??? maybe I am being dense
A ski with shot glasses on it... basically a way to take shots with other people at the same time using the same device.

Start:

Finish:

Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Beat me to it!