Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-08-2013, 06:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Xstar
Buzzing sound using aux

New 06 Xstar owner. Boat has the JL Audio upgraded system. Sytem sounds great, but when I plug my Iphone in the aux. I get a lound buzzing sound. I also get no bass.

Any suggestions??
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
I would test the cable and Iphone on another unit to start. Then I would take a 3.5MM x RCA and go right to the back of the head-unit taking the remote AUX socket out of the loop. If still there, good chance its the head-unit. If it goes away any where along the process, then you may have isolated it.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks

I will try that out. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokey View Post
New 06 Xstar owner. Boat has the JL Audio upgraded system. Sytem sounds great, but when I plug my Iphone in the aux. I get a lound buzzing sound. I also get no bass.

Any suggestions??
Do you have a rubber case on the iPhone, like an Otterbox? The plug may not be gong all the way in and if your plug misses the sleeve (a stereo plug has a tip for Left channel, ring for Right channel and a sleeve, for common), you'll only have the left and right + making contact and that means it will sound the way you described. If you turn the balance to either side, the sound may not change at all, or it may go out completely. If you do have a case, remove it and insert the plug fully. I generally use 1/8"-RCA cables from SnapAV (called 'Binary') because the plug doesn't stop at the case of the iPhone.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
MLA and Jim hit the most likely causes. Only one other I can think of: if the buzzing is intermittent then it could be the phone's radio interfering with the audio signal. Only way to check is to turn the phone's radio off by putting it in airplane mode and testing it.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I disconnected the old aux cable at the head unit and inserted the 3.5MM x RCA directly to the head unit with my Iphone. It worked!! Sounds great! I'm asuming the old wire is worn and I will need to replace the old aux cable from the head unit to the aux port on the drivers side. Glad it was an easy one. Thanks everyone!!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
MLA and Jim hit the most likely causes. Only one other I can think of: if the buzzing is intermittent then it could be the phone's radio interfering with the audio signal. Only way to check is to turn the phone's radio off by putting it in airplane mode and testing it.
I use an iSimple FM transmitter in my van and it never makes weird noises. If the cable had been kinked, pinched, etc, the shield may have been compromised. My guess is that the buzzing was from the boat's electronics.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I use an iSimple FM transmitter in my van and it never makes weird noises. If the cable had been kinked, pinched, etc, the shield may have been compromised. My guess is that the buzzing was from the boat's electronics.
By "radio" I meant the phone's antenna that transmits/receives from cell towers, not AM/FM.

Ever leave your phone sitting next to your desk computer, and right before you get a call or a text, your computer speakers start to buzz? That's the radio signal interfering.

Last edited by dvsone79; 02-09-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: better explanation
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
By "radio" I meant the phone's antenna that transmits/receives from cell towers, not AM/FM.

Ever leave your phone sitting next to your desk computer, and right before you get a call or a text, your computer speakers start to buzz? That's the radio signal interfering.
I know, but if any RF will cause a problem and be picked up/heard through the audio, it's more likely to be when the AM/FM radio is being used.

I have heard noise when my phone was next to the computer but that was never a constant buzz.

Ever put your phone next to a CRT monitor or TV when a call comes in? The screen distortion is the reason I think all of the "there's absolutely no harmful radiation coming form cell phones" is BS. That much screen distortion needs a pretty strong magnetic field.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Typically the nature of the noise offers some clue as to the cause of the noise.
Is it fixed or varies with amplitude. This points to a particular origination.
Does it change with engine speed, or a boat operation such as a light function, trim or plate adjustment. This points to a bad supply or ground relationship between two components in the signal path.
Is the buzz consistent under all conditions. This points to a poorly seated or open termination, bad cable or jack, or the wrong cable.

David