Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
I am a reformed owner of an "astraltune" http://www.justabuzz.com/astraltune.shtml Call Sherman and Mr Peabody... Fire up the way-back machine for 1976.
Tonight the little woman and I are going to rock out to Foreigner and Yes. We are hooked on vintage vinyl.... Thank you very much Mzimme!!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
MC Fanatic

double posted - stupid, dirty pc....
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Through the years I have owned a number of speakers. One of my favorites was the ESS AMT1s using Heil Air Motion Transformers. Not that they were the last word in accuracy, but the dynamics were amazing on music like ELP, Rick Wakeman, Pink Floyd and so on. Presently I run a pair of Dali Euphonia MS5s. They're great. But I am also extremely impressed with the Vandersteens and would be just as happy with yours versus mine....maybe even happier with yours. I see design influences in some of the Vandersteens that seem to stem from the early Dahlquist DQ10s although they have nothing in common appearance wise.
Recently I got a pair of Sennheiser HD-650 headphones with a dedicated headphone amplifier. I'm still working my way through my music with the headphones and discovering new details and layers. And I can really enjoy music without disturbing anyone. I highly recommend a headphone/amplifier package like this to anyone. One of my favorite things.

David
Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickett View Post
@Kweisner - Very nice Vandersteen Model 5s! I have Vandy Model 2s and his Model 2W subwoofer. I'd love to go to Model 5s some day, but they're a little rich for my blood these days. I'm running a Thorens turntable. I'd like to hear more about your turntable setup.

Have you ever talked to Vandersteen himself? He's a really interesting guy.
Hey kpickett--thanks for the props on the Model 5s. I had (well, still have) a 2Wq sub that was paired up with Magnepan 1.6s--an awesome combo but not the right fit for my current listening room. Love Vandy speakers--a lot like MC (great value: solid engineering, designed to last a lifetime and perform well the whole time). If you don't already know, keep an eye out for used Model5s over at Audiogon-dot-com. They do come up fairly regularly at about 1/2 retail.

I have actually gotten a call at home from Richard--sent an email question to their general mailbox and he picked up and dialed me himself. Very no-nonsense in a good kind of way.

Table is an Avid Volvere with a Wilson-Benesch tonearm, which is from a W-B Full Circle table (which I also still have--i find it hard to part with gear that I've loved). My current room is not a great environment for a table and the Avid isolates itself from all kinds of vibration the way no other table can. Feel free to PM me with any questions so I din't end up putting TT members to sleep with all kinds of details!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
Because of this thread... I dug around in the basement and found my old technics table... hooked it up and listened to some Styx, Point of Know Return last night..... hmmmmmm,, where did I hide my reefer???
Check your copy of "Frampton Comes Alive"--if you ever used a double album cover as a "cleaning device" you'll know what I'm talking about
Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
I had a great system back in college but once the family started coming in, the speakers were too big for my wife's liking. And with surround sound, that made it more difficult too.

Tried the Adcom 3 channel surround processor for awhile but eventually just too complicated and a lot of adjustments constantly.

I just put it away though....too nice of stuff!

Carver TFM-45 Amp
Dahlquist DQ-30 speakers
Mark Levingson Pre-amp
Carver Tube CD player
Pioneer Vinyl record player

I should bring that stuff out and hook it all back up again. It sounded SOOOOO.... nice!!
YES, you should!!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
You haven't heard Abbey Road unless you have listened to the vinyl version. There is so much warmth and detail lost in the original remaster. I haven't bothered to check out the 2009 re-remaster, but it has met with mixed reviews. My version is a UK Apple original release from 1969 (PCS 7088) that I found at Sound Exchange in Houston in the early 90s in absolutely pristine condition (I thought new) for $14.99. I have the entire Beatles catalog from Rubber Soul to Let it Be on Vinyl, but nothing compares to Abbey Road.

/By the way, I only, 5 minutes ago, figured out that my copy of Abbey Road was an original. It was in such pristine shape when I bought it (and still is), that I figured it must be an import. I should probably invest in a new needle.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 02-06-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
Because of this thread... I dug around in the basement and found my old technics table... hooked it up and listened to some Styx, Point of Know Return last night..... hmmmmmm,, where did I hide my reefer???
dude, when you find your stuff, I'll find my old album and we'll burn one together

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post
YES, you should!!
I might just have to do that sometime soon! I do know that the amp is humming a bit so I probably need to send it in for a tune up.

Funny, my old roommate (Not Rick) had/still has a pair of Vandersteen 2c's I believe and he just emailed last week telling me one of his tweeters needed to be replaced. I never heard back from him though if it ever got fixed. Love those speakers too!

1994 205, LT1
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Milmania - DEAL!! Who is Lisa?? We listened to Yes, Fragile Album last night on Vinyl while playing scrabble while enjoying my new favorite beer from Peace Tree brewing - Red Rambler. I'm hooked on Vinyl.