Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X1, RTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Anyone play vinyl around here? I'm younger (29), so I didn't really grow up with that being my main source of music back in the day since cassette's and CD's were around. I inherited my grandpa's old turntable and have recently gotten into the hobby. I've been buying some of my favorite albums on LP's and enjoying them the old fashion way. Picked up an old set of Klipsch Kg4's and have been rocking out ever since. Anyone have some cool old LP's that might be rare, or just into the hobby in general. It's fun actually getting something with a record that you buy besides just some digital file stored on a computer.

My little fun area:

Before I hooked it up around my TV.

Love the "old School" KG4's. I used to have a set of Forte's that I got in 1988. I miss them, but I am still hooked on my Polk RTA 11's I got in 1991. I'll never get rid of them.

Six in, Six out.

2007 MasterCraft X-1, CHARCOAL Black
Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Like an idiot, I threw away my Philips GA222 turntable years ago. Not sure what I was thinking. Oh yeah, I was thinking vinyl is dead, CD's are the future
Thankfully I've kept my Yamaha CR1020 receiver. My 15 y/o daughter likes vinyl, so I bought a cheapie turntable from DAK (another blast from the past). We've had fun playing my old albums and shopping pawn shops and vintage store searching for albums. I'm on the lookout for a Yamaha YP-D8 turntable to keep the CR1020 company. I still have my old DiscWasher too.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
Because of this thread... I dug around in the basement and found my old technics table... hooked it up and listened to some Styx, Point of Know Return last night..... hmmmmmm,, where did I hide my reefer???
Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190 - LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post
Hey mzimme,
As for my system. . .the Pre-amp is Balanced Audio Technology (all analog/vacuum tubes). Amp is also BAT (solid state), Marantz SACD player and the speakers are Vandersteen Model 5. I also stream digital via Apple's Airport Express feeding a PS Audio DAC--a great option for whole house sound, convenience, party mode, etc. But for serious listening, it's either vinyl or SACD. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all--happy to share my own experiences in audio!
@Kweisner - Very nice Vandersteen Model 5s! I have Vandy Model 2s and his Model 2W subwoofer. I'd love to go to Model 5s some day, but they're a little rich for my blood these days. I'm running a Thorens turntable. I'd like to hear more about your turntable setup.

Have you ever talked to Vandersteen himself? He's a really interesting guy.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
Because of this thread... I dug around in the basement and found my old technics table... hooked it up and listened to some Styx, Point of Know Return last night..... hmmmmmm,, where did I hide my reefer???
Styx - Paradise Theatre vinyl "laser etched hologram".....

1994 205, LT1
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X Star
I still listen to vinyl all the time with my girlfriends dad. I request most songs on vinyl as opposed to CD's. Sometimes i have to resort to CD's because what i requested has never been open/played.

Also, being only slightly older than me, you may be happy to know that Incubus recently released every one of their albums on Vinyl a few months back. If i had any extra cash (not going into the MC or the car) I would have scooped them all up myself already!

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM
MC Devotee

I had a great system back in college but once the family started coming in, the speakers were too big for my wife's liking. And with surround sound, that made it more difficult too.

Tried the Adcom 3 channel surround processor for awhile but eventually just too complicated and a lot of adjustments constantly.

I just put it away though....too nice of stuff!

Carver TFM-45 Amp
Dahlquist DQ-30 speakers
Mark Levingson Pre-amp
Carver Tube CD player
Pioneer Vinyl record player

I should bring that stuff out and hook it all back up again. It sounded SOOOOO.... nice!!

1994 205, LT1
Old 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Pioneer Vinyl record player
That's pretty good coming from the first guy I knew that owned a Sony Discman ...
Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr1 View Post
That's pretty good coming from the first guy I knew that owned a Sony Discman ...
Hey, now! That thing was portable with the optional 4 - C size battery case!

1994 205, LT1
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I have had a Sony turntable that has been very reliable and lots of good vinyl. My mom has the cool setup though. McIntosh tube amp, preamp, tuner, and turntable in a console. Absolutely beautiful set of equipment.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.