Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-29-2014, 11:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006. Mastercraft maristar
how much power

i am wanting to add two more subs to my X30, any suggestions on where, type, power and mounting options. I want bass that rocks, Thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain0725 View Post
i am wanting to add two more subs to my X30, any suggestions on where, type, power and mounting options. I want bass that rocks, Thanks
This may be a lot to digest.
Upgrade or improve upon what you have rather than using multiple subwoofer locations around the boat.
There is always one 'best' location for a subwoofer in any given towboat. It may not be ideal in every acoustic consideration but it is the best that a particular boat may have to offer.
Every additional and secondary location will be a compromise in efficiency and effectiveness.
Will you get more bass with every additional sub location? Sure. But it won't be as productive as the initial subwoofer. And each additional subwoofer location will deteriorate the bass sound quality. Why? Phasing.
Now multiple subwoofers are a great approach when those subs are identical, tightly collected and oriented the same.
But if you just want maximum "rocks" in the sense of thump, hammer, boom, rattle, shake, and so on, rather than musical bass, then don't hesitate to turn your boat into Swiss cheese and occupy every available storage space with a sub box.....not to be taken seriously.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

boat has factory 10 JL sub hooked to the stock channel amp. I installed another 400 watt JL amp for just the tower. Then divided the 4 in boat speakers to channels 1-4 and 5-6 bridged to sub.
What else would you recommend, Please be specific and let me know.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
Cain,
I'll make this real simple for you. Keep everything you have as is if it sounds good and you like it.

Now, you stated you simply want more bass...get (1) JL 12 or 13W7...power it with either a 750/1 or 1200/1 accordingly (your choice & budget dependent...both will work fine). Ported box, mounted under observer seat...wire a remote level knob over to the drivers seat so you can control it from there. Done.

Anything less IMO you are wasting your time, anything more you will be opening Pandora's box and your wallet. You'll have to start to giver everything else more power, more batteries, bigger alternator...etc...etc...etc...

Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

what i did, too ka JL W6 sub in a ported box, it rocks hard on a JL 600 AMP. I hope it sounds good once i get into the hole