Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-03-2004, 03:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 barefoot200;;;2004 X9 MCX
tower speakers

anyone tell me why my tower speakers only emit a dull crackling noise and no volume....have checked connections/fuses/switches to no avail.
Don't want to bother dealer yet as it is a trek to get to him and don't want to take boat out of the water,,,,,far too nice at the mom.across the pond!!!!! boat is a 2004 X9...clarion cd system
Old 09-03-2004, 07:25 AM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
If the connections are good and the speakers don’t work, I would try to bring the speakers to another head unit to pinpoint speaker or head unit/connection issue.

Good luck

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 09-03-2004, 09:22 AM
TT Admin

Boat: I can check-out any MC boat - why own?
sizzler,

Some more information would be helpfull...

Did the speakers work before and just quit working?
Have you added anything to your sound system recently?
Is this the stock factory setup and you just got the boat...?
Are you using RCA's or the speakers out to run the tower speakers?
Do you have 1 amp for the entire boat or are the tower speakers on their own seperate amp?
Old 09-03-2004, 09:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 barefoot200;;;2004 X9 MCX
The set-up is stock,,,i have added nothing.....to be trueful i don't know if they worked when i recvd the boat...i turned on the stereo and just listened.....i did not check every speaker,,,,,it only came to light when a tall friend of mine put his ear to the speaker and told me it was not working........when i put the cd on fade and only use the front speakers they sound great,but if i fade to rear only ,hardly anything comes out. could this be part of the problem as well?????
Old 09-03-2004, 01:39 PM
TT Admin

Boat: I can check-out any MC boat - why own?
Make sure that your speaker connections to the amp for the tower are correct (pos to pos, neg to neg). If they are reversed you will have issues. The pictures below is for a JL amp and not the Clarion on the 04's but it will help demonstrate what I'm talking about. It sound like a definate connection issue....
Old 09-29-2004, 06:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 PS-197 - X7
XMD-3 Clarion head unit

If your head unit is an XMD3 and you are using the rear outputs, they default to the Subwoofer signal and make the type sounds you mentioned, too low to come through as bass in the 6" speaker. When ever power is cut to the head unit it will default. They probably never worked, mine didn't and the dealer

This is not covered in the Clarion manual so I called Clarion Marine Audio in CA. @ 1-800-754-9876 and they faxed me these instructions.

"The XMD3 source unit has both front and rear RCA preamp outputs on the rear chassis. They are color coded "gray" for front and "black" for rear. The front are always FULL RANGE output signal. The rear RCA preamp output can have either a FULL RANGE signal or a SUBWOOFER output signal depending on its setting. The SUBWOOFER output is the default factory setting on the XMD3's rear RCA preamp output."

"When the amplified system is first powered up, or after an extended power interuption (48 hours), the XMD3 will reset back to the SUBWOOFER default setting. The rear preamp output must be reprogrammed to provide a FULL RANGE signal. Default setting will only produce LOW frequency bass sounds from the speakers. To restore a FULL RANGE signal to the rear preamp outputs, follow these instructions.
1. Press and hold "TITLE/ADJ" button for 2 seconds to access program menu.
2. Use "SEARCH" button(s) to scroll through menu untill display read "SW LPF"
3. Press the "VOL Down" button to select "REAR" for full range output signal
4. Press "TITLE/ADJ" button once to exit program menu

While discussing my MC installed system, I explained to Clarion Marine Audio that I was not happy with the sound quality and they provided me with the following instruction based on all the gear I have. Sounds great! My system was dealer installed even though the parts came from MC

Clarion Marine Audio installation recommendation for MasterCraft Prostar 197 2003

1 - XMD3-RET Clarion Head Unit
1 - APX-400.4M 400 Watt Amp
1 - APX-200.2M 200 Watt Amp
6 - CM-1632RET Component Speakers
1 – CM2503RET Subwoofer

XMD3-RET Clarion Head Unit output connections
Grey RCA to Front input on AXP-400.4M
Red RCA not used (they are Aux inputs)
Black RCA to APX-200.2M

APX-400.4M Settings
Front & rear gain - Set to 4:00 position
Bass Boost - Set to 0
Rear Channel input select – Set to Front (middle) position
Front Input Mode Switch – Set to Stereo
Rear Input Mode Switch – Set to Stereo
Front Frequency Control – Set to 12:00 position (90 hz)
Front X-over mode – Set to HP (middle)
Rear Frequency Control – Set to 12:00 position (90 hz)
Rear X-over Frequency Multiplier – Set to X1 (button out)
Rear X-over mode – Set to HP (middle)
Bow and Tower speakers - Wire to APX-400.4M - Front outputs
Rear speakers - Wire to APX-400.4M - Rear outputs

APX-200.2M Settings
Gain – Set to 3:00 position +
Bass Boost – Set to 1:00 position
Frequency – Set to 12:00 Position (90hz)
X-over Frequency Multiplier – Set to X1 (button out)
X-over mode – Set to LP (left)
Input Mode Switch – Set to L+R (Sum Mono)
Subwoofer - Wire as Bridged – Mono (L- R+)

Adjust head unit output levels to taste in Custom mode
Use Z-Enhance if desired, adjust levels to taste

Last edited by crdickey; 10-15-2004 at 04:34 PM. Reason: revision of data
Old 10-15-2004, 04:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 PS-197 - X7
Clarion XMD3 Head unit reset

I found the technical bulletin I mentioned in my last post concerning your tower speakers not performing well. Hope this helps!

"The XMD3 source unit has both front and rear RCA preamp outputs on the rear chassis. They are color coded "gray" for front and "black" for rear. The front are always FULL RANGE output signal. The rear RCA preamp output can have either a FULL RANGE signal or a SUBWOOFER output signal depending on its setting. The SUBWOOFER output is the default factory setting on the XMD3's rear RCA preamp output."

"When the amplified system is first powered up, or after an extended power interuption (48 hours), the XMD3 will reset back to the SUBWOOFER default setting. The rear preamp output must be reprogrammed to provide a FULL RANGE signal. Default setting will only produce LOW frequecny bass sounds from the speakers. To restore a FULL RANGE signal to the rear preamp outputs, follow these instructions.
1. Press and hold "TITLE/ADJ" button for 2 seconds to access program menu.
2. Use "SEARCH" button(s) to scroll through menu untill display read "SW LPF"
3. Press the "VOL Down" button to select "REAR" for full range output signal
4. Press "TITLE/ADJ" button once to exit program menu
Old 10-15-2004, 06:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '04 Tournament Team Prostar 197
Sizzler, my system ('04 197 w/tower)has precisely the same problem. No rear or tower speaker output; just a hiss. I took it in to the dealer, and I pick it up tonight at 5, so I'll post the results Monday. Good luck on yours. Oh, by the way, while in the shop, someone ran a forklift into the trailer, destroying the tongue! They're replacing that.