Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205
Remove Silicon from Gelcoat

I am replacing my exhaust flanges on my 98 prostar 205. I got the old ones off. Now I need to remove the old silicon type stuff from the gelcoat. What is the best method? Also, the old ones had this silicon stuff on the inside diameter of the holes in the transom. How do I reapply new sealant in this area when I get ready to install the new flanges?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Prostar205 View Post
I am replacing my exhaust flanges on my 98 prostar 205. I got the old ones off. Now I need to remove the old silicon type stuff from the gelcoat. What is the best method? Also, the old ones had this silicon stuff on the inside diameter of the holes in the transom. How do I reapply new sealant in this area when I get ready to install the new flanges?
In some places I have used a window-pane paint scrapper or similar device.

For the flange opening, heck just remove the old and run a bead on the ID of the opening as well as can be applied. If accessible, run another bead around the flange (once installed) from the inside. It doesn't have to be perfect, just adequate to seal the area.
I know on the 190 model, I was able to access from the inside as I had the floor and fuel cell out in order to attach the exhaust hose.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
I used a plastic putty knife and Goo-Gone to clean up the old RTV stuff behind the flanges.

Was a time consuming job, but got down the gel coat and clean with time.

Used black RTV to seal new flanges, the RTV will ooze everywhere including the bolt holes when the flanges are reinstalled to transom with screws.

Some use 3M 4200 or 5200 to seal flanges. Silicon style product was good enough for MC, so good enough for me. Mine sealed fine.

YMMV.

PS - I was able to reattach exhaust hoses and 2x hose clamps (each) with fuel tank installed. Just some light, laying down and a 1/4 socket wrench.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Single edge razor blade and or a 3M eraser wheel.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN