Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Other
Ilmore/197

I am seriously considering on coming back to MC und purchasing a 2012 197. I had an older 197 that I won't get into too many details, but it had a handfull of mechanical issues and spent alot of time in the shop. So of course I am apprehensive on coming back. I apologize if this question has been asked before, but how is the ilmore powerplant working out specifically on the 197's. My 197 had 3 fuel pumps fail, and I somewhat became an expert on fixing it myself the third time around. Has this issue been resolved? I really just want a trouble free boat like the older "other brand" boat I have now. Just looking to upgrade to an open bow current model with ZO.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Tournament Team
I wouldnt trade the powerplant in my PS197 WTT for anything. I am relatively new to the MC family.... I just joined the WTT this year from "another brand" ........ and I will never look back. A lot of the local tournament drivers always comment on how well the Ilmor/Powerslot combination drives, and how much power the boat has at the throttle.

As far as issues....other than the H20 pump/impellar failure (dare I say somewhat common problem with some 2012s), the boat has been perfect. Just passed the 150hr mark.

UC Waterski Team - Coach
www.ucwaterski.com
Old 09-13-2012, 03:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thats good to hear! If the boat utilizes the same pump as the 04 197, I know how to repair that myself for under $100 and hour worth of labor.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 WTT ProStar 197
I've had the 6.0 and the 5.7 Ilmore. Absolutely love them both. I have had zero issues and the servicability of these engines is top notch. My next WTT is coming with the 5.7 again.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettmeknow View Post
I really just want a trouble free boat like the older "other brand" boat I have now. Just looking to upgrade to an open bow current model with ZO.
I assume your "other brand" boat is a Nautique 196. Out of curiosity, what is making you want to possibly come back to MC if your current boat is trouble free? Is it just for the sake of shopping around because you are wanting to upgrade to an open bow? I don't want to make it sound like I am pushing you away, bc I love my MC. I also know that CC makes a great boat as well, bc i used to make them. Either way, you will not go wrong. Which model you are considering I guess would depend on what all you plan on doing with the boat.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Actually it's not a Nautique. It's a 20 year old boat and I want a current model boat that's bigger and ZO equipped.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:33 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Rod?

Your old account works, too.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Rod?

Your old account works, too.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:15 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Tournament Team
Forgot to mention in my previous post....

The fuel consumption with the 5.7L is also something worth noting. We use both my PS197 and a Txi Promo to pull practice for the UC Waterski Team every week (two lake site). Week after week we are putting less fuel in the mine compared to the Txi after each practice. The Ilmor sips the fuel.

UC Waterski Team - Coach
www.ucwaterski.com
Old 09-14-2012, 01:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Fuel pumps, to my knowledge have nothing to do with Indmar, or Ilmor for that fact.
That's pure MC (and other brands), just not the best design, but easily overcome as said above, for under $100 and about an hour of wrenching.
Haven't seen many Ilmor complaints, hey it's a 350 chevy, they're great motors regardless of who puts the peripherals on them.
From what i've seen, the Ilmors have more user friendly maint features than the Indmars (small stuff like oil filter location, top mount starter and alt, etc) and only 1 downside, being the harder to reach r/w impeller.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN