Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Matercraft 205V
Buying 2001 X-Star - What to look for on test drive

I put a deposit down on a 2001 x-star Friday, and it's now in the shop being detailed and serviced before we take it out for a drive this week. This is my first wakeboat purchase - I've owned an I/O prior, and have been driving friend's wakeboats for about 6 years now.

By all appearances, this is a mint boat. 290 hours, no hull scuffs from beaching, vinyl is perfect (no tears or pink discoloring), no spider cracks at the tower connection. It is in the shop right now having the oil/impeller/plugs done, steering cable lubricated, and vdrive shaft seal replaced.

Obvious things I know to look for - vibration in the steering from prop/rudder damage, visible water leaks, etc. Question would be - common problems with this gen x-star/205v, particular areas to look at, and a checklist of things to look for.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM
TT Newbie

Also, is a boat history report worth getting? What's the best site, if so?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star (current) 1994 PS190, 1990 TriStar
Great boat. Since you are near the ocean, you should understand if it has been in saltwater. That generation had upholstery problems after lots of exposure to sun, so sounds like its been covered. The low hours are great! You will want to know about potential large expenses after you buy. See if you can take it out loaded up and give a rider a pull out of the water to see if the prop / engine combo is right - new props are $500+.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
If it's hard to turn, needs a new steering cable. Make sure EVERYTHING works.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskidaily View Post
Great boat. Since you are near the ocean, you should understand if it has been in saltwater. That generation had upholstery problems after lots of exposure to sun, so sounds like its been covered. The low hours are great! You will want to know about potential large expenses after you buy. See if you can take it out loaded up and give a rider a pull out of the water to see if the prop / engine combo is right - new props are $500+.
Thanks! Near the ocean, yes, but everyone up here rides the delta. Never been in saltwater... I'd like to get a pull, but early February in Northern CA - too cold!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
You've already covered most of the things I'd check for. Vibration, ease of steering, etc. Even if you can't pull anyone, see if you can load it down and do some starts. Might give you an idea of what the hole shot is going to be like.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
One thing to check, there is an MMDC module under the dash that controls all the guages. Water pressure is fed to it via the pitot tubes at the stern, this water pressure is how the dash speedo gets it's reading.

I have seen where the MMDC has problems allowing water to enter the circuit board and causing damage to it making the guages stop working. My buddy has an '01 X-star and this happened to him, he had to replace the MMDC and all the guages. $$$

I'm not sure what the proper prodedure is to check the MMDC, maybe someone else on here can explain it. Other than that, the '01 X-star is a great wakeboard boat. What engine is in this one? Does it have rear hard tanks? If so, you may want to pull those out and replace with 750# sacs in the rear and run extra ballast up front as well. Depends on how big you want your wake.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
2001 had pitots? not paddle wheels? when did the switch become the new standard. - Water to a controller for speed measurement? ... eash... slap that engineer...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
TT Newbie

I did notice some condensation in the speedo when I looked the boat over (haven't gotten on the water yet). Should be a concern?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
I did notice some condensation in the speedo when I looked the boat over (haven't gotten on the water yet). Should be a concern?
Might be a sign of water getting into the guage. You may have to remove a cover on the MMDC or somehow take it apart to see if water is getting into the circuit board area. Ask the guy it he ever replaced the MMDC before.

Does it have perfect pass? If so, you could pull the water hose off the MMDC and plug it rendering the stock speedo inop. At least that way the MMDC will never get water in it in the future.