Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Gee, I am glad the tipping here in OZ isn't complicated like this!!!!!! No obligatory tipping over here but I have on some occasions tipped for excellent service. If you are not providing good service over here you are out of a job and our wages are higher to cover the lack of tips. I did come across this ages ago in Hawaii on holiday. Seems bizarre to HAVE to tip someone regardless of the quality of service. Hey just my .02c don't shoot me down now. Have fun
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pram View Post
Really? This is my logic

You are a server that has a section that contains 8-10 tables

Here you get PAID 9-10 per hour from your employer

Now you work a 6 hour shift and have 8-9 tables per hour

A family of four goes out for supper

Bill total 50-60

15% (what everyone says you are supposed to tip) = 7.50, based on $50

7x7.50 = 52.50

10%
7x5=35

Add the 10 an hour they are getting paid and its pretty easy to get there

Find a server and ask them how much they make in tips

2-300 on a good night is very common plus wages
Applebees servers aren't making 9-10/hr in wages. They make under minimum wage since a tip is a portion of their income. It's not uncommon for servers to make $2-3/hr plus tips.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta_ski View Post
I work as a server and bartender currently, and I'm working my way through school, so I feel that I can comment from the inside on this one.
*snipped for space*
Quote:
I need to add one other thing.
*snipped for space*
Sorry I wrote a novel here. I guess I needed to vent. Thanks for listening.
good intelligent feedback there

come on back anytime!

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermegan View Post
Gee, I am glad the tipping here in OZ isn't complicated like this!!!!!! No obligatory tipping over here but I have on some occasions tipped for excellent service. If you are not providing good service over here you are out of a job and our wages are higher to cover the lack of tips. I did come across this ages ago in Hawaii on holiday. Seems bizarre to HAVE to tip someone regardless of the quality of service. Hey just my .02c don't shoot me down now. Have fun
It's really not a huge deal... you just add some cash on the bottom line and go about your day. It's d-bags like this pastor that make it an issue. I rarely leave less than 20% of the total bill... including the tax. The servers get a couple extra percent off me because I tip on the tax as well. It takes a really really really crappy server for me to not tip 20% on my bill, and even then I usually leave at least 15%. If a server is having a bad night, or is just off as we all are sometimes at work, that shouldn't keep them from paying their rent or filling their car with gas (IMO). We all need a break here and there, and if they're a consistently bad server they won't be a server for too long.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Gotta Ski I would for sure go to your restaurant.

While I was reading the thread last night I finally watched the news video of the Pastor and her response.......I am willing to bet that She drives a really nice car yet looks like a Rag ah Muffin. I used to work for Cadillac. We had a customer that was the same ethnic group as this pastor. He had a Hummer and an Escalade. One day I googled his church and the location of it. It was a chit hole. NOT that it takes a nice church to get to Heaven or that the message in church is better in a church that is nicer vs the low budget church......I just noticed that the Pastor looked after himself vs the church. Nice new vehicles and a gold
Rolex and even Gator boots were always worn by him, but his church where he made his income was ragged out big time. Seems like the pastor should have taken a look at where it is better to give than to recieve...... He gave a message but took all of the money. I feel he should have reinvested in the church. I BET this Pastor in the sory has the same outlook as the pastor with the Caddy and gold watch.

While I am on my Monday morning rant, I will also include this.

If you go to a sports bar or any other establishment where you can stay after the waitstaff is cut or released for the night.....Pay your tab and open another tab. The first person serving you has to work her a$$ off for a few hours while you are playing pool or hanging out. They bring you the drinks and food, so tab out and tip them for their work and then re open another tab after the new waitstaff brings you your next item. When the tab gets transfered to the second waitress and you tip her, she gets tipped off of all of the work that the first girl gave you......Is that really fair to do to the first waitress.....**** NO..... If they tip share then that is one thing but most places the waitstaff gets their own tips.

Rant over, everyone have a great day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Last edited by pram; 02-07-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
I need to add one other thing. Asking for separate checks to avoid an auto-grat is just plain wrong, but there is nothing wrong with separate checks. Any server who won't separate out your bill, no matter how big the party, is being difficult and lazy. Its ok to make their tip reflect this.

Separating out a group into separate checks is very easy with any of the modern computerized restaurant systems. Sure it may take longer to do so and to cash out several separate checks, but its not that hard. Don't put up with servers who won't do that, or with restaurants that say they won't.
You said it right on both posts.

A good friend of my fiance was a server at the top grossing restaurant in Atlanta (Twist) for a couple years and whenever we are out and the waitstaff refuses to split the check, she gets furious because she knows how easy it is and how unacceptable it is to refuse.

Never mind the server probably ends up with more tip with separate checks than with one big check.

There is a local pub with above-average food but below-average beer list that has the best service ever. I refuse to go to the other places when my friends want to because you know they won't split the check and you're going to wait 45 min to pay etc etc. This pub takes your CC with your first drink, opens your tab, returns your card and takes care of you as an individual all night, regardless of how big your group is - makes it easy to come and go and get personalized service vs. treated like a herd of cattle.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Rockman and Bturner2 pretty much sum it up.

The damn customers are more of the problem that the wait staff.

I have only stiffed a waitress 1 time in my life and it was due to her sitting next to me at a table with her boyfriend. I asked several times for a refill. Finally I got up and refilled my drink and my dates drink. We ate. We left. I did pay.

These people that come in expecting great service should go to a restaurant where the plate is $50 a plate or so and then get the service you pay for. Still though if you ask most waitresses fr a 5* restaurant, I bet the amount of a$$hole customers would be less than the chilis or Applebee's.

This is why I only eat at nicer restaurants that the tab is $100+ for you and a date.

By the way. Slutty dressed waitstaff will generally get a better tip than the Sarah plain and tall waitress.

Our waitstaff in tx is probably $3 per hour or so and not $10.

Most of my gratuity is 20% and I gladly pay it. I have not cooked a meal in my life. If I have a gf then she makes it and I drink a beer and watch. If she's lucky, I may cut up vegetables at most. Now I will put a steak on after a grill is prepared and make it the way I like it but that is it. I eat out every meal when I have no gf. Every meal. Have been living this way for 15 yrs. I don't clean up dishes and I don't have a messy kitchen this way. I simply eat out. Pay my tab. Leave and don't worry one bit on learning to cook, having to clean, getting my a$$ up for a beer etc. I always treat waitstaff with respect and always genuinely ask how their day is. It is well worth not having the mess. You will spend on average $15-$20 per meal anyway for a good meal. It is worth an extra $5-$10 for tip not to **** with dishes or preparation.

Therefore the pastor bish needs to get off her buy my way to heaven a$$ and learn how the real world works.

My uncle is a Bishop and is a religious person. Yes everything is FREE for him. That drives me CRAZY but that's his business, not mine. He would never act like the way that woman did.

Heck the church paid for her meal anyway. She didnt buy it. She dumps the offering plate in her bank every Monday. She doesn't have to work so why does she care if someone gets a tip.

Rude a$$ customer

My rant is now over
YOU ARE DA MAN KYLE

when I grow up I want to be just like you

Sounds like spreading the wealth is your motto regardless of level of service received

MONKEY FACE
Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
Unfortunately that is not just servers...I seem to have a staff full of "professionals" that do the same What on earth could we have ever done before cell phones, and especially smart phones, were invented????
BUTTTTTTT

The servers are the ones that are EXPECTING YOU to pay them more than what the bill is

WHY should I pay someone extra who does a bad job? Positive reinforcement for poor effort

Do you give the same bonus at work to the hardest working guy and laziest at Christmas?

MONKEY FACE
Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pram View Post
YOU ARE DA MAN KYLE

when I grow up I want to be just like you

Sounds like spreading the wealth is your motto regardless of level of service received
Spreading the wealth is Obama's motto, I really don't think that is Kyle's purpose. I usually give 15-20 percent as well, unless I get horrible service. My girlfriend was a waitress, and her hourly pay was 2.25 i think.. So i think 15-20 percent is fair considering he stated that he eats by himself. so its not like its even that much money anyways.

Another note, we all have Mastercraft boats. you wanna ***** about something? go ask your dealer why the prices go up 6-8 percent per year, and NOT ***** about tipping >20 dollars at a restaurant..

Last edited by pram; 02-07-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
my general rule of thumb is 15-20% for decent service ... more for higher quality & attentiveness ... less for below average ... I think I am more than fair based on their performance.