Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pram View Post
this is true, BUT, they do have the ability to control how they present themselves, how attentive they are to the needs of the customers.

I find most servers now are so wrapped up in their own lives (what they are doing after work, who is texting who, what is going on facebook, twitter or instagram) that they forget they are working
I worked at a bar in '80-'81 and one of the waitresses was a bit, well, stupid. Hot, but stupid. One day, she was at work (notice I didn't actually say she was working?) and stopped to talk to someone. For a long time. While the place was busy. After about 15 minutes, the owner called her over and she walked up and asked "What's up?". He looked at her and asked "Do you F&^%in' work here, or what?".
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
Quote:
this is true, BUT, they do have the ability to control how they present themselves, how attentive they are to the needs of the customers.

I find most servers now are so wrapped up in their own lives (what they are doing after work, who is texting who, what is going on facebook, twitter or instagram) that they forget they are working
Unfortunately that is not just servers...I seem to have a staff full of "professionals" that do the same What on earth could we have ever done before cell phones, and especially smart phones, were invented????
Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
Quote:
Well I don't see it that way at all

I am tired of servers EXPECTING that I subsidize their wage. You want to have a guaranteed income, better yourself, find a job that pays you more.

The last time I encountered this there were 8 of us, it took a very long time to get our food, it was cold, no drinks were brought at a constant interval And yet I found an 15% tip automatically added to my bill

Too bad for her, just because you're a server doesn't mean you need to make 30-40 an hour because of tips
Simply know the deal before you go in and don't be a pilgrim. Ok you got bad food and service, just don't ever go back there and post a honest review online. They won't stay in business long. As a patron in our culture you don't have a right to stiff the wait staff if you know going in that it is expected. My daughter was a waitress in college and the lady/demographic in the article is standard and the waitresses fight to not have to serve people like her. They know it will be no tip or an under tip.
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Quote:
Well I don't see it that way at all

I am tired of servers EXPECTING that I subsidize their wage. You want to have a guaranteed income, better yourself, find a job that pays you more.

The last time I encountered this there were 8 of us, it took a very long time to get our food, it was cold, no drinks were brought at a constant interval And yet I found an 15% tip automatically added to my bill

Too bad for her, just because you're a server doesn't mean you need to make 30-40 an hour because of tips
I agree 100% gratuities should be earned and not expected. I should have the right to give a gratuity based on the service received not the size of my party.

That being said I had a party of 10 at the Capital Grille in Orlando the other night and 20% was automatically added to by bill --- Name:  down.gif
Views: 143
Size:  1.6 KB

Attachment 89409
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
I've waited tables.......you aren't making $$$ unless you are in a 5 star rest. or handing out sexual favors and no one should be throwing stones about people needing to "better themselves" etc about being a waiter/waitress. There are people waiting tables that could be slimey aholes collecting unemployment. I don't judge anyone who works for a living and I praise the people who do $hittier jobs. Maybe they aren't the most intelligent people, etc but they get out of bed in the morning to pick up our trash, watch our kids, serve us food, and take care of a million other things a day most people wouldn't do.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I've been reading this thread and been biting my tongue (OK keyboard) to stay out of this. People are really clueless sometimes. Anyone want to guess why the automatic gratuity is added to large parties? Anyone? Anyone want to guess why servers don't want to be stuck with them? Anyone?

For those who didn't have their hand up I'll help out. It's because of the same cheap a$$ customers like the pastor in the article that thinks that while fleecing flock is OK (since the cash is coming her way) thinks giving a decent tip is not. She was so concerned about getting out on the cheap that she tried to cheat the system with separate cheques to screw someone out of a tip regardless of the service. She was so outraged over having to give a tip that she was also demanding everyone lose their job. BTW she is also typically the same person that expects the most and tends to be condescending or rude to the wait staff. I hate to say it but I'm not seeing many of the characteristics of a good christian here especially for a pastor.

Now while I can't argue that you should have the option to tip based on performance most everyone knows the large party tipping rules before showing up to one of these establishments. If not you are now empowered with this information so you can dine with your large party knowing up front why the tipping line item is there. If that still offends you then as a customer you have every right to vote with your dollars and not go there.

Having worked in the restaurant business while in college I can assure you your typical wait staff is not getting rich and is putting up with a ton of crap every day. For those of you thumping your chests about where, when and how you'll tip or bragging about how you stiffed the waitress out of a tip because of how they looked or dressed regardless of service rendered probably never worked in that line of business. Those who actually think that this work is easy or really thinks the waitstaff is getting rich off your 10% tip needs to consider taking on one of these jobs for a couple weeks to actually see what it's like.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickskier View Post
I agree 100% gratuities should be earned and not expected. I should have the right to give a gratuity based on the service received not the size of my party.
That being said I had a party of 10 at the Capital Grille in Orlando the other night and 20% was automatically added to by bill --- Attachment 89410

Attachment 89409

you're gonna have to throw us another bone

"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
I've waited tables.......you aren't making $$$ unless you are in a 5 star rest. or handing out sexual favors and no one should be throwing stones about people needing to "better themselves" etc about being a waiter/waitress. There are people waiting tables that could be slimey aholes collecting unemployment. I don't judge anyone who works for a living and I praise the people who do $hittier jobs. Maybe they aren't the most intelligent people, etc but they get out of bed in the morning to pick up our trash, watch our kids, serve us food, and take care of a million other things a day most people wouldn't do.
I'm with you brother. I was brought up and have raised my children to respect people who work for a living regardless of the job they do and to treat people the way they would want to be treated. There is no shame in working for a living and doing a job the best you can. It amazes me at times to see how people will treat the wait staff at a bar or restaurant.

I have difficulty with this new Obama nation that puts those taking handouts on par with those struggling to make a living.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:27 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
*snip*

I have difficulty with this new Obama nation that puts those taking handouts on par with those struggling to make a living.
you bring up an excellent point, i got an email a few days ago.... hang on, I'll be right back

edit:

As a Realtor for the past 28 years I thought I’d seen or heard it all… Until now.

I was showing homes in Pontiac, MI. one afternoon recently and showed up at a home at the 4:00 pm time my appointment was scheduled for. After I woke up the homeowner, she let us in and then proceeded to tell my buyers and I that she has already entered into a contract to sell the home on a short-sale. (A short-sale is a sale where the banks accepts less money than is owed on the home). After some chit-chat, she proceeded to tell us that she and her sister (who also lived in the area) were buying each other’s homes via the short-sale process. I mentioned to her that I thought relatives could not be involved in those transactions. She smiled and said "We have two different last names so no one knows the difference".

She went on to tell us that each of them owed over 100K on their homes and were in the process of buying each other’s homes for about 10-15K cash. To top it off, they were each receiving $3,000.00 in government provided relocation assistance at the closing.

My buyers and I were amazed that she was outright admitting to fraud and yet, she continued. She began to tell us that the best part of her scheme was that because they currently were not working that they (both) are now receiving Section 8 Vouchers. I said I thought those were for renters and she said “That’s the best part; me and my sister are going to be renting each other’s homes so we don’t even have to move, and Obama is going to give us each $800.00 a month to pay the rent!” She then picked up a picture she had framed of Obama and did a little happy dance around her living room and while she kissed the picture she was singing "Thank you Obama.... thank you Obama."
So here is the bottom line… Both of these scammers got at least $80,000.00 in debt forgiven, $3,000.00 in cash for relocation (when in fact they did not relocate) and to boot, you and I will now be paying (through our taxes) $1,600.00 in rent for each them each and every month.... perhaps forever!

Is it any wonder why so many people have decided that all they have to do is VOTE for the Democrats and they will be taken care of for life at the expense of the taxpayers?
I would not be at all surprised if they are receiving food stamps and whatever other programs are available for anyone who is willing to lie to get assistance.
These women went from working and paying about $900.00 each in mortgage payments to staying home and getting paid $800.00 each per month to live in the same home they had been living in and all they had to do was lie on a few papers. This craziness has to stop! I’m sure this kind of fraud is going on each and every day all across the country and no one wants to touch the subject of entitlements because they might OFFEND someone or lose a vote or two.
By the way... she had an almost new SUV in the driveway, three flat screen TV's and a very nice computer set up in her living room which was furnished entirely with nice leather furniture.
I'TS THE NEW 'AMERICAN WAY'.....
For all of the "do-gooder's" who voted for Obama to help the "less fortunate"....CHEERS..... they are now the "most fortunate!" How're things working out for you??

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine

Last edited by milkmania; 02-01-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Here, wait staff don't even make minimum wage because the fact that they receive tips exempts them from the regulations. It's also assumed that they don't report all of their tips because it comes as cash and "only suckers report all of their tips". Still, a good server can make a lot of money, on a good day/night. It averages out, but it's definitely possible. If this server was canned and auto-tip isn't something they can control, I have to think something else is going on.
Yep, same here in IL..server wages were like $3.00 per hour...$9-$10 is not even close.

Quote:

If the stupid customers who come into the resturant to actually came int to eat and not talk on their cell phones or text message their B@tt buddies all night and act like a bunch of a$$holes, then they would get respect and descent service from the wait staff...

People come into Chilis all the time near my house and they look at the menu for an hour and can't decide what they want to eat...they weigh 300 pounds and are worried about the levels of sodium in a country fried steak...seriously?...and then ask for a WINE list...people, it EfN Chilis...what are you thinking!? This is the kind of crap that happens ALL the time!

Then you get the people who bring their kids in and all they do is suck down 50 pepsis in the first 30 minutes they are there so all the waitstaff is doing is refilling drinks the entire time...

Wanna talk about crappy service!? Let's talk! Customers who have poor experiences at restaurants and complain all the time...then why the hell do you keeping coming back!?

Proper services should be given all the time and tipped accordingly...but don't be a deadbeat because you walk into a restaurant with a chip on your shoulder...the wait staff does not care about your problems...all they want to do is take your order and deliver your food and drinks...don't make it a hassle for them.

If you have a problem with something and it's not the waitstaff's fault, then don't take it out on them...DISCUSS your problem with a manager...be civil and not a richard,

Rant over...carry on.