Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
what a mess....
my mom used to say that a lot too

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 PM
MC Master Poster

18% automatically? Isn't that usually done when the party is more than 5 people?

Maybe the customer was a royal PITA.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
can't fix stupid... I guess this Pastor did not know servers have to earn part of their income from tips. In the end 2 people lose their jobs - 3 bad decisions... 2 people lose their jobs.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
Well I don't see it that way at all

I am tired of servers EXPECTING that I subsidize their wage. You want to have a guaranteed income, better yourself, find a job that pays you more.

The last time I encountered this there were 8 of us, it took a very long time to get our food, it was cold, no drinks were brought at a constant interval And yet I found an 15% tip automatically added to my bill

Too bad for her, just because you're a server doesn't mean you need to make 30-40 an hour because of tips

MONKEY FACE

Last edited by pram; 01-31-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
can't fix stupid... I guess this Pastor did not know servers have to earn part of their income from tips. In the end 2 people lose their jobs - 3 bad decisions... 2 people lose their jobs.
My guess is that her response was due to the tip being added by the register/waitress. If I was in the same position and the bill wasn't for a large group, I might do the same thing- being forced to tip is BS and I'd rather make the decision on whether, and how much to tip. If the service was bad and the tip was added anyway, I wouldn't be a happy camper.The tip should reflect the quality of service, or the level of generosity of the customer.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
If you read the whole story, it was a large group and they asked for separate bills to avoid the automatic tip, and then the pastor paid for all of them. She also claims they complimented her on her service. Bottom line, totally insensitive of the pastor to write that on the bill, but she had no business posting it with the signature readable.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Applebee's doesn't auto add tip until there are 6 people or more...iirc. Tips aren't a subsidy in imo....it's a person risking the balance of their pay...like commission. When I get poor service I try to rectify the issue or tip poorly...if service is poor and food bad get the manager to help. Some restaurants will leave you feeling screwed over - those are the ones that go out of business.

If it wasn't for a large group - customer should have never left the restaurant and had it fixed... by the manager -

There are some server who make a crap load of cash for being a great server in high end restaurants. Article says pastor left $6.00 cash - so all the hoopla is over .29?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricford View Post
If you read the whole story, it was a large group and they asked for separate bills to avoid the automatic tip, and then the pastor paid for all of them. She also claims they complimented her on her service. Bottom line, totally insensitive of the pastor to write that on the bill, but she had no business posting it with the signature readable.
A large group and the check came to $34.93 including an 18% tip? That seems like they only had coffee. If they complimented the waitron unit, 18% isn't even the average tip many give, so I don't know why they had a problem with it.

I call shenanigans- something else is involved here and they're not saying what it is.