Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
Barefooting Boom on X2

I am curious if anyone has any experience with a boom on their X2s for barefooting. I have done some testing at speed and the spray seems like it might be too much. Any experiences? I am sure I will need the boom extension for the tower.

I have read through some old threads and it seems that people are generally happy with X2 barefooting. Also, any thoughts on props? I currently have the 14.25 X 14.75.

Thanks for any thoughts...
Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
I have it with 3 extensions. Running of the pylon.
Speed is just OK. A bit disapointed on that subject, but for general boom BF,ting is OK.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Not sure if this will work/apply to the X2 but before you start adding a bunch of extensions you might want to try adding weight to the side of the boat opposite where the boom goes out. I know when I spoke to Mike Seipel about the spray coming off of my 197, he advised trying this to get the boom side of the boat out of the water a bit farther allowing the spray coming off the chines to be directed back farther, behind the footer. It is something cheap and easy to test before you spend money on other possible solutions.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Not sure if this will work/apply to the X2 but before you start adding a bunch of extensions you might want to try adding weight to the side of the boat opposite where the boom goes out. I know when I spoke to Mike Seipel about the spray coming off of my 197, he advised trying this to get the boom side of the boat out of the water a bit farther allowing the spray coming off the chines to be directed back farther, behind the footer. It is something cheap and easy to test before you spend money on other possible solutions.
Jeff, with the issue with spray and weight distribution, I thought it interesting that you have your boom on the drivers (starboard) side of the boat. I would think it would be an easier weight distribution problem if the drivers weight was on the opposite side of the boom? I know with my 230 lbs mass the boom needs to be on the Port side...

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Jeff, with the issue with spray and weight distribution, I thought it interesting that you have your boom on the drivers (starboard) side of the boat. I would think it would be an easier weight distribution problem if the drivers weight was on the opposite side of the boom? I know with my 230 lbs mass the boom needs to be on the Port side...
The spray issue I had seemed to be more with my 2002 than any 197 I have had since. That being said, I think the weight aspect ends up being somewhat more on the passenger side of the boat being that we generally have a pretty full crew and they all sit on that side. I like having the boom by the driver so I can more easily see and talk to the footer if need be.....or in our case it is more like ridicule or possibly give them a near brush with an unsuspecting bouy!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
The spray issue I had seemed to be more with my 2002 than any 197 I have had since. That being said, I think the weight aspect ends up being somewhat more on the passenger side of the boat being that we generally have a pretty full crew and they all sit on that side. I like having the boom by the driver so I can more easily see and talk to the footer if need be.....or in our case it is more like ridicule or possibly give them a near brush with an unsuspecting bouy!!!
Fun stuff right there!! I picked up a GoPro Hero3 Camera so cant wait to get some new video!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams