Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 MC skier 351 W
Its out and on my garage floor. Bellhousing and pump are off. Will wait to go further, parts should get here monday.

PS Kyle I found a manual, thanks again for your efforts.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
The tranny should have had water in it if it was leaking through the cooler.
Not always true. My cooler was leaking pretty seriously, but (as far as I can tell) didn't suck any water into the transmission - just pumped fluid out. Doesn't make much sense to me, but that's the way it was.

/frank
Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 PM
TT Regular

Kyle,

I lied, I started digging into this thing before my parts got here. Too eager to see what's inside. Got the whole clutch assembly out, but I am fighting with snap rings. My snap ring pliers arent doing the trick. Any tips? Trying not to fight them too much and ruin them. Am I being too careful?
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 AM
TT Regular

alright got them loose. Definitely destroyed one. Hope they are sold individualy. Was able to "walk" most of them off with a screwdriver. The others all still look good.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Kyle, you didn't need to do anything to the gear reduction box when you did your rebuild, did you? It's just gears so maybe the output seal?
I just put the out put or tail shaft seal in. Didnt do anything with the gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 02-23-2013, 03:07 AM
MC Maniac

Frank

That is very weird that it created a syphon and would draw fluid out without getting water inside.

I guess anything can be possible.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
Kyle,

I lied, I started digging into this thing before my parts got here. Too eager to see what's inside. Got the whole clutch assembly out, but I am fighting with snap rings. My snap ring pliers arent doing the trick. Any tips? Trying not to fight them too much and ruin them. Am I being too careful?
The snap rings are thick and pretty big.

My snap ring pliers are made by snap-on tools. I didn't have a problem with them, but I would recommend maybe trying to find a decent pair so when you go back together you can safely install the new rings without damaging them.

Also there is a real thick one that needs to removed around the drive clutches. I destroyed it getting it off. My snap ring pliers would not separate the ring. Lots of prying and twisting got it loose.

That was a piece that I had to order before reinstalling the internals.

Take some pics of your project.

How are the reverse clutches and plates? Are they worn bad or warped by chance?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 PM
TT Regular

Name:  trans1.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  126.8 KB

Name:  trans2.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  trans3.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  trans4.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  118.6 KB

Name:  trans5.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  144.5 KB
Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 AM
TT Regular

Reverse clutches look good to me. So does the pump, smooth as can be inside, but I sure would hate to put it all back together only to pull the tranny again. I think my main problem was fluid loss. No water in the tranny, not sure where it leaked. At least I will feel better with new clutches I guess. Still hoping to find the forward clutches torn to shreds but we will see. I posted the snap ring I ruined. Looks like I didnt even actually have to remove that one though now? It goes in front of the bearing on the input shaft. I am thinking there is not much more disassmebly needed at this point right? The planetary gear has sealing rings, but other than that, I dont see a reason to go any further, am I wrong? The shift selector, any reason to take it apart?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 AM
TT Regular

I am guessing fluid flows freely to the reduction gears, maybe I am losing fluid through the back? Should my overhaul kit have seals for the output shaft?