Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Past: 1986 MC 19 Skier; Nautique, 230, 2009, PCM 343; 2012 X-45 ZFT4, ILMOR 6.0L. CURRENT 2010 X14V, ZFT3, RTP-1
Wakeboard Summer Camps for Kids

I am trying to plan for my 9yo son to attend at least one but maybe two wakeboard camps this summer. I have "The Boarding School" ($1,800) picked out for one week. If we do another, I was thinking Coble ($795). The kicker is that is has to accommodate younger kids and include room & board. I am still wrestling with dropping him off and leaving him in the hands of strangers and picking him up a week later too. Has anyone done this before at this age?

I think..but I am note sure if Coble is more kid friendly. I talked to them at the boat show and they said that there are several kids this age that come to their school alone. I don't know about Boarding School as their website is down.

Anyone have any experience with either of these schools? Are there other better ones to consider?

I could do two Coble weeks for the price of one at Boarding School. This is a huge investment so any help is appreciated.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Bennett's in Zachery, LA does an awesome summer camp for kids, but I believe it is two weeks long. They are set up with a full dorm and do home cooked meals for all of the campers while they are there.

Several of my friends did it every summer while growing up and loved it. I usually go and spend spring break there skiing and the accommodation are fine, and the staff is world class.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
My Son is 4 and I have been promising him for his 6th Bday that the two of use would go to the boarding school for a week. Meeting and hanging with Shaun Murray would be worth the price alone, although $1800 is pretty pricey.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
The camp is cool because they get to see other kids try stuff and they learn more in a lightly competitive instructor led environment.

My dealer here brings up a pro for a week each summer and provides customers time with her. Three other owners I met said they were very impressed with what their kids picked up and what they learned about driving their boat... He also has staff that train new inboard owners to drive / dock the boats, coming from a stern drive, it will be helpful.

I have a girl's world champion on my lake, that helps too.

Finally, there are some freelance pros in the area that are reasonably priced per day. I spent a small fortune on the boat so I plan on paying a little more having someone teach me how to pull off a few tricks faster, less painfully and better technique.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Hey KahunaCraft, if you are in Alberta, I work with the guys at WSR school and every year they bring a Pro up here. Last year they brought Kyle Ratray. he was a super cool guy and I learned Toe side front Rolls in 3 tries in one set with him. Amazing instructor.

You should definitley try make it if you can, it's an awesome environment to learn in. Hopefully Bjames can make it too. I will let you know what dates he is coming this year as it gets closer.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Levi I'd be interested too.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
I would select AF Wake over both the camps you mentioned. The two mentioned are of course great camps. But AF Wake is very family oriented and Adam almost always has students in that age group. The camp is literally his parents lake home and Adam's mother plays a large role in caring for the campers. The campers are well supervised as well as well fed!

The amount his students learn in a few days is nothing short of amazing. Plus, depending on the camper's desire as a group, they will often do a day at Hexagon Wake park as well as learn behind the boat.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
We'll see, I made it to the Stampede 2008, 2010 for kid rock concerts (and of course the chuckwagon races and other stampede shenanigans ) and I appreciate the offer. Same offer on my side, if you guys get to Ottawa...
Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Wow, at 9? Arm strength, body control and balace are still devoloping.

As mentioned, local dealer pro-camps would be an option at 1/3 the base cost and less travel. Save the big camps for another couple years when they have progressed beyond the basics and need to step into the next level of aerial tricks.
Enroll in a gymnastics class. Plant it as wake training, learning body control and placement is focused instead of all the extra factors of being on the water plus many more practice repitions. Maybe even spring board diving? Body control and sighting the landing are critical (I know, I feel I lack both and my progression stopped)
$$ saved will buy MANY gallons of gas which equals even more ride time.

Great idea spending time learning to be a better driver. This can add to the enjoyment of all.
Also, regular riding (2x week) will do wonders. With a group is fantastic! Motivated riders of any age can push and critique each other to new levels.

If disposable income is not an issue, great. Seems like more of a vanity bragging around social circles (both kid and adult) than total value at the age being considered. Unless the individual's skill level is truely AMAZING (without parental colored glasses)

It does take a fairly strong willed and independent 9yr old to be out a week. A good camp with constant activity helps. Too many parents can be are overly concerned and sheltering which leads to a less independent individual, IMO. I saw it in my years of lifeguarding Scout and Church camps and see it now at my kid's daycare and play settings.
If they have never been away for a week, you might test with a cheaper week at church camp etc early then plan for a wake camp midseason. This would also give them time to build their skill and confidence from winter layoff.
It would suck to blow that kind of money and have the kid homesick. Even if just enough they were not focused to get maximum benifit let alone, leave early.
Then again, there is also something to be said for getting rid of the kiddos and having a week of quiet too
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Hey Nick, I will make sure to let you know as soon as his dates are booked. It's so worth the money, and one of the funnest days I spent on a boat. I highly recommend it to everyone no matter what your skill level.