Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
boat and trailer length

I have a 1986 MC on a factory trailer. My garage is too short and I plan to bump it out so the boat fits and I don't have to store away from home in the winter. The boat is 2 hours away.

Can someone with a 86 or S&S with factory trailer please measure from tip of the tongue to the end of the platform. I have a couple numbers written down from last year and want to make sure I bump out far enough. I think the correct number I have in 261 1/2 inches.

Thanks...
Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
I can fit my 85 on a mc trailer in my 24' long garage with 5-6" to spare. Your 86 should be the same or very close.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by liledgy View Post
I can fit my 85 on a mc trailer in my 24' long garage with 5-6" to spare. Your 86 should be the same or very close.
That would make your boat and trailer18'-6". Doesn't sound right.
Some idiot built my garage 20'.(not me)

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
I figure 24' from tip to tail of the platform. I do not have an exact measurement from the 85 model. It's in storage.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
No. I have 5-6" inches to spare. So it's a little less tan 24' feet.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft MariStar 210 VRS
don't wanna be that guy but;

' = feet
" = inches
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by liledgy View Post
No. I have 5-6" inches to spare. So it's a little less tan 24' feet.
Sorry, read that as 5'-6".

I made the trip last night. Boat is 19 feet. Platform extends 15 3/4 inches out from the rear vent. Tip of the tongue is 17 3/4 inches from the tip of the bow. Total 21'-9 1/2".
Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by occva View Post
Sorry, read that as 5'-6".

I made the trip last night. Boat is 19 feet. Platform extends 15 3/4 inches out from the rear vent. Tip of the tongue is 17 3/4 inches from the tip of the bow. Total 21'-9 1/2".
I just installed a set of Alloy Marine lift-off brackets so that I can remove my platform to make the garage fit roomier. (my garage is 24' deep).

After I back the boat in, I put storage casters under each wheel (using a floor jack) and while the trailer is still hooked up, I then push the trailer against the wall, unhook trailer and done.

You might try removing your platform/brackets and angling the trailer into the corner....it 'might' fit.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
I just installed a set of Alloy Marine lift-off brackets so that I can remove my platform to make the garage fit roomier. (my garage is 24' deep).

After I back the boat in, I put storage casters under each wheel (using a floor jack) and while the trailer is still hooked up, I then push the trailer against the wall, unhook trailer and done.

You might try removing your platform/brackets and angling the trailer into the corner....it 'might' fit.
I already thought about this approach. However it is still too large, even if I upgraded to gps speedo and removed the pitot tubes. I am bumping the rear wall out 2'-6". This will give me room on the other side for tool boxes and I can still get the wifes car in.

I still might install the removeable brackets so i can walk around the tongue when the door is closed.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by occva View Post
I already thought about this approach. However it is still too large, even if I upgraded to gps speedo and removed the pitot tubes. I am bumping the rear wall out 2'-6". This will give me room on the other side for tool boxes and I can still get the wifes car in.

I still might install the removeable brackets so i can walk around the tongue when the door is closed.
The Alloy Marine brackets might require you to notch the teak swim platform to clear the transom lifting rings (mine did). I wanted the added room the lift off brackets provide, their design is pretty simple and a good solution for the compound curve of the transom.

My 'other side' has a big roll cab tool box and a '67 MGB I've had forever. My wife used to park her car in there, but I explained the MC was worth more long term!

I hope to hit the lake tomorrow - first time and really early for around these parts!
Somewhere between SML and LKG