Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
ski/hunt's Avatar
ski/hunt ski/hunt is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Boat: 96 PS205
Location: Southeast
Posts: 668
I know of a guy who has a hog hunting dog with a missing rear leg. It is one of his better dogs and ironically is one of the faster bay dogs he has.
Your dog should do fine!! I'd take my dog with 3 any day, when you consider the alternative.....
__________________
You haven't lived until you grab a wild hog by the legs when a dog is holding him by the ear!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM
onewheat's Avatar
onewheat onewheat is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Location: Moving again...
Posts: 683
My cousin is a vet and she had to remove her Doberman's rear leg due to bone cancer. Piper did just fine on the remaining three until cancer consumed the rest of his body several years later. Dogs are the best - they deserve anything they need.
__________________
onewheat

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
milkmania's Avatar
milkmania milkmania is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Location: God's blindspot aka Oklahoma
Posts: 9,155
gid,
you say you got no kids...
I know a lot of people without kids and their dogs become their kids, symbolically. That being said, if you can afford it and money's not the issue(none of my business), and the dog is in fairly early stages of life, I'd vote to go for it! Now, on a 12-14 year old dog, it'd be a different story, but it's also on a dog you've had for 12+ years. Ultimately, you know what Bullwinkle means to you and your wife, no matter what we say. You're just needing reassurance
__________________
WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE


Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 PM
gid's Avatar
gid gid is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Boat: 1972 MasterCraft w. Holman Moody
Location: up
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
gid,
you say you got no kids...
I know a lot of people without kids and their dogs become their kids, symbolically. That being said, if you can afford it and money's not the issue(none of my business), and the dog is in fairly early stages of life, I'd vote to go for it! Now, on a 12-14 year old dog, it'd be a different story, but it's also on a dog you've had for 12+ years. Ultimately, you know what Bullwinkle means to you and your wife, no matter what we say. You're just needing reassurance
Thanks, and yes they are our 'kids'. Bullwinkle is only 2 yrs old, very fit, no fat, was running 2 miles everyday with me.
The love and kindness a dog can show is amazing; how can they never have a bad day, worry, fret, pout, complain - just want to love you every time you come in the door.

We are not rich by any means but cost is not a factor to us just him being pain free is. (% free credit card here I come) The first surgery on Tues costs about 4k + being at the vet this whole time and now amputation. I am guessing 6-7K total. To me, priceless, if we get to lay in bed on the weekend mornings. His soul is so giving and sweet. $$ comes and goes in our lives.
ps - His brother (the last two of the litter) Rocky has been looking for him every day.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
milkmania's Avatar
milkmania milkmania is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Location: God's blindspot aka Oklahoma
Posts: 9,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
Thanks, and yes they are our 'kids'. Bullwinkle is only 2 yrs old, very fit, no fat, was running 2 miles everyday with me.
The love and kindness a dog can show is amazing; how can they never have a bad day, worry, fret, pout, complain - just want to love you every time you come in the door.

We are not rich by any means but cost is not a factor to us just him being pain free is. (% free credit card here I come) The first surgery on Tues costs about 4k + being at the vet this whole time and now amputation. I am guessing 6-7K total. To me, priceless, if we get to lay in bed on the weekend mornings. His soul is so giving and sweet. $$ comes and goes in our lives.
ps - His brother (the last two of the litter) Rocky has been looking for him every day.
Life gives us challenges every day, it's what we do with those challenges that define us
I just made that up, hehe
__________________
WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE


Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
ski_king's Avatar
ski_king ski_king is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Location: Western PA
Posts: 5,915
I have know a few people that had 3 legged dogs. They did fine after the recovery, but dont let them get too heavy (fat) as it is too much for the remaining hip.

The plus side is he can no longer lift his leg to pee on your tires.
__________________
STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 PM
woobiedmd's Avatar
woobiedmd woobiedmd is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Boat: mastercraft PS190 1988 351
Location: phila burbs
Posts: 156
I'll agree with everyone else that your dog will do fine on three legs. My chocolate lab Woobie lost his back leg several years ago. He was as fast on three legs as four. The hardest part was we had to change his name to "Tripod"! Best of luck to you! Who wants to list the top ten reasons why dogs are better than women?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:36 PM
milkmania's Avatar
milkmania milkmania is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Location: God's blindspot aka Oklahoma
Posts: 9,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobiedmd View Post
I'll agree with everyone else that your dog will do fine on three legs. My chocolate lab Woobie lost his back leg several years ago. He was as fast on three legs as four. The hardest part was we had to change his name to "Tripod"! Best of luck to you! Who wants to list the top ten reasons why dogs are better than women?
you go right ahead, I'll watch
__________________
WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE


Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM
park190's Avatar
park190 park190 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: X-2, MCX
Location: On the lake
Posts: 140
I'm VERY sorry to hear of this tragedy gid. Unfortunately, three legged canines are more apparent than people think and most do very well after surgery. It will take time, dedication and rehabilitation commitment on account of all you; however, those are great bonding moments to say the least. Within weeks of surgery you'll start to see the glow in your dogs eyes again and you'll rememeber why you made the decision. It may be a struggle at first but hang in there. Summer will be here before you know it, the pooch will be having fun again and you won't look back on the decision...not trying to be sappy by any means, this is just coming from someone who's almost 40 and our two canines are our "kids" too. I wish you the best of luck!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 PM
cwarndahl's Avatar
cwarndahl cwarndahl is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
Location: texas
Posts: 522
Last year charlie was hit by a truck. the surgery to save her rear leg was almost 5000. fortunately i had money saved for a new interior for my MC, well of course my dog is my kid and worth anything i can do for her. so i did pay the money, but the vet and the specialist both suggested on removing her leg. i got to meet several dogs with 3 legs and they were all great. (they really wanted me to loose the leg.) the recovery for her was about 7 months, the amount of pins in her leg make it an awkward leg to use at any speed over walking, (plus after 7 moths of being only on 3 i think she learned to use 3) jumping climbing and swimming with me on the boat. so she only uses 3 legs above a walk. she can still jump 6 feet and clear any fence that holds her in. (which at home she will not ump a fence until i leave) which she loves to jump and climb which was why i spent the money to save the leg, just to find she can still chase a squirell up a tree and i mean way up like a cat. when she swims she drags the leg most of the time. when she runs she does it on 3 legs. the saved leg is more in her way and she prefers to be 3 legged dog now. she still has the leg of course but runs most of her life on 3. i guess im trying to say anything that effects her quality of life now she does on 3 legs, i now have no doubt she would have been fine on 3, and she would have had the same quality of life she was used to. and as her owner i want to give her the same quality of life she gives me which is awesome. so i hope this helps.
__________________
2012 MC X-25
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.