Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-30-2014, 02:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X-30 MCX
KGB ballast pump won't drain

Pump will fill but not drain. It had tripped the breaker on it first. Hooked wiring for starboard to it and same thing so I figure it is either the wiring in the pump itself or pump is shot. Did not think it could be the impeller since it works to fill but could it be that?
Plan is to change pump from starboard over to center since I don't use that one anyway right now but will try changing the impeller if people think that is possibly the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2014, 02:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
It could be the impeller. When I bought my boat it had the black impeller in the kgb pump which is really stiff. After filling, I would have to remember to switch to drain for a second or two to get the vanes in the impeller facing the other direction. If I let them sit in the wrong direction too long, the pump would trip the breaker when trying to reverse. I removed the impeller several times and swapped the vane direction manually. After doing that a couple of times, I just bought new green impellers for all 3 pumps.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:51 PM
TT Regular

It doesn't trip the breaker now. No sound at all in reverse. Runs fine filling.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 PM
TT Regular

I know I should pull the impeller. Knew it as soon as I posted this. Always do the obvious fix first. Will pull it this afternoon I think.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X-30
It is the impeller

Same thing happened to me and it was my impeller. Works fine to fill, little slow but then would not drain. Switched impellers and it all worked. Hope you get it working.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:04 PM
TT Regular

Pulled the impeller and this is what I pulled out. An intact but old style of impeller along with 3 extra vanes that were probably jamming it up. PO must have just shoved a new one in without checking to remove fragments of the last one. I put in a new green impeller and it works great. The Budweiser I didn't pull out of the pump but I felt it was well earned with the problem solved. Thanks for the help once again.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
What brand of pumps do you have? That impeller in the picture looks really weird.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 PM
TT Regular

The center part came out separate from the plastic. They are jabsco.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-Star, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
It could be the impeller. When I bought my boat it had the black impeller in the kgb pump which is really stiff. After filling, I would have to remember to switch to drain for a second or two to get the vanes in the impeller facing the other direction. If I let them sit in the wrong direction too long, the pump would trip the breaker when trying to reverse. I removed the impeller several times and swapped the vane direction manually. After doing that a couple of times, I just bought new green impellers for all 3 pumps.
Has anyone seen this with the green impellers? Same problem, KGB pump, would fill but not drain. I took the impeller out and inserted in "upside down" and seemed to work just fine after that. Well at least for a drain, fill, drain cycle in the span of a several hours. Some photos attached. <yes, I have 2 pumps upside down, for this I blame the dealer> but the green impeller looked ok - I am not sure what they should feel like. Motor sounds strong in both directions.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2014, 11:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I could see how flipping the impeller over might help if the vanes had taken a set in one direction. From the picture, the impeller vanes do have some set but the impeller looks good otherwise.

I would try wet sanding the inside of the pump housing. Start out with some 320 grit and go up to at least 600. Polish the bore, bottom, and top plate of the pump. You could have some corrosion built up inside the pump head that is decreasing performance.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.