Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X-15, Ilmor 5.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenskijerm View Post
I have a 2012 w/ 5.7 Ilmor and have only had one problem when new but was promptly taken care of. (When I put it on the lift it was purging all the water in the raw water intake and getting hot the next time I ran it). We don't have the pro pack and though a lot of people have had problems with the low end ballast system (forget the name) we have had 40 hours of trouble free use. The wake is steep and fantastic and the surf wave isnt bad when properly loaded. The boat also handles chop really well with all the yachts we have here on the TN River.
My 2012 x 15 with the 5.7 also purges its water on the trailer and gets hot the next time I use it. How did you resolve this issue?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X-15
I have an 07 I'm willing to let go pretty decently priced. PM me, lets talk.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:15 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Links to the two boats?

I'd lean toward a loaded '08.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Ive got a 2010, and if youre going to have it for 10 years i would recommend staying away from the boats with the BIG screens. no telling on how much that will cost when it breaks. X15 is a good solid boat, but with the surf tabs the wake surfing wake sucks. i dont surf anymore anyways. wakeboard wake with about 2500 pounds is just about as good as it gets.
Go with an 08. so you get the updated interior. im not really a fan of the 07 interior.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-15 5.7 Liter Ilmor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin D. View Post
My 2012 x 15 with the 5.7 also purges its water on the trailer and gets hot the next time I use it. How did you resolve this issue?
They replaced a portion of the raw water intake and it hasnt been a problem since.They told me this only affected a small number of boats and mine was built in Jan 12. My local dealer took care of the issue (it happened on our maiden voyage right after we took delivery but not on the test drive).
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X-15, Ilmor 5.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenskijerm View Post
They replaced a portion of the raw water intake and it hasnt been a problem since.They told me this only affected a small number of boats and mine was built in Jan 12. My local dealer took care of the issue (it happened on our maiden voyage right after we took delivery but not on the test drive).
Mine was also built in January.. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 X15
Hello

Examples are below. I have not contacted either party. My goal is to buy a used, freshwater, ideally under 100 hours x15 for $50-$60k. I've located to the two different listings below and I wanted your thoughts on these boats. Why is the catch or options lacking on the new? Are there any specific years to stay away from? Are my goals realistic? any other guidance?Thank you

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35162

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ft-X-15-347178
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/boa/3547961201.html

Came across this... Right up your alley....
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Wait...
LY6 in 08 had straight pipes without any muffler. That may be a dealbreaker.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X15 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Star Lake View Post
Hello

Examples are below. I have not contacted either party. My goal is to buy a used, freshwater, ideally under 100 hours x15 for $50-$60k. I've located to the two different listings below and I wanted your thoughts on these boats. Why is the catch or options lacking on the new? Are there any specific years to stay away from? Are my goals realistic? any other guidance?Thank you

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35162

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ft-X-15-347178
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in your exact same spot a few years back. My wife and I sold our 22ft Maxum open bow and immediately started the search for a Mastercraft. After researching night after night, talking with other owners, and water tests, I decided to buy our 2010 X15 last year (Aug '12) and have not looked back. In my opinion, the X15 is the best all around boat that MC made over the last several years.

As you'll note, the X15 inventory is slim online. I believe its due to many people buying and keeping the boat. If you do find an X15, it's usually gone fairly quickly. If you don't mind being patient, you'll be able to find the right boat. I'd suggest reaching out to the MC dealers in your surrounding states and letting them know you're looking for a late model X15. A lot of times, especially with MC, the boats get sold before they're even listed online. If you're on their list, you might get a shot at a boat before it's listed online and they get hounded. Other than that, watch all the sites [onlyinboards.com, this forum, and dealer websites)

When comparing options on different X15s, I decided that I wanted to purchase the boat with as many options as possible. The attitude adjustment plate (center plate used to help flatten the wake for better skiing) was important to me because my wife likes to ski. The one we bought also had surf tabs that (if you set the ballast correctly) really help the wake for surfing. The boat had the standard ballast set up for wake-boarding which works for me at my current skill level. The previous owner had upgraded the stereo system with additional subs and 4 tower speakers which makes a difference in music clarity when doing anything behind the boat. My X15 has the BIG system in addition to the standard gauges. Some believe this is a liability (because if it stops working no one knows what it's going to cost to replace or fix .. and they may be right) but I actually wanted the BIG screen. Now days, all the new boats are being made with the touch screens and full color controls. Like you, I plan on owning my boat for 10+ years, but IF I wanted or needed to sell, I believe the BIG system is an attractive selling point. Since all new boats / cars etc are being made with full color screen controls, people are going to want that option in a used / late model boat.

Decide what's important to you and decide what you're willing to give up if you find the right deal. If you have the time, you can add any option you want but the costs can add up quickly.

Either way, you can't go wrong with an X15. Just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum and good luck on the search! If you have other questions, post 'em up.