Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Faced the same situation when I bought my 2001 205v last year. Wanted to test drive but was priced too good that someone would have bought without putting it in the water if I didn't buy it on the spot. Put a deposit down and wrote bill of sale contingent on the inspection, and we both took it to a mastercraft dealer for what is called a transfer inspection. Cost me ~$220 but they did a very thorough checkout (including compression test, verifying hour meter matched the ecu, shaft was true, etc). They also require both parties authorization to release the boat so seller and buyer have piece of mind the deal won't turn dirty. Turned out only thing wrong was steering cable was getting tight so I popped to have them put in a new one rather than fixing it down the road. Ran great all summer and gave me a great comfort buying without a water test! Guy I bought from was great, easy to work with and had all the receipts, extra parts, etc (he was the original owner) which also added to my piece of mind.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
I had an 05 X-2 that I bought new and traded it in two years ago for a new X-25. I loved that boat. It was my first MC and surpassed my expectations in all respects. I sold it with 650 hours. It was in excellent shape and well maintained, oil change every 50 hours, etc. I got $30k on the trade-in, which I thought was a good price for trade-in, and the dealer sold it quickly (for I think $35k). Mine had a lot more hours than the one you're looking at. And X-2's hold their value well, especially the 05, the best year for X-2's (new tower, drive by wire). But this was two years ago and I think $37k is a bit high in price, but not outrageously so. You will love the boat, assuming all is ok with it. It's a fairly small boat and it handles extremely well. It has a fantastic wakeboard wake, one of the better ski wakes for a V-drive, and a decent surf wake. It's one of the best hulls ever made.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: none
I was wondering if the low hours would be a small negative as well. I know with newer cars, seals etc are better made than they used to and buying a 6 year old car with low miles doesn't bother me at all. In fact I bought a 2006 Corvette last May with 4700 miles on it and have not had a single problem with it. I am sure boats are a little different though.

NADA thing with the bank wont be an issue as I will offer the seller cash. I would like to test drive it but if not, the transfer inspection will be an absolute necessity.

People are all saying the boat is over priced but being new to the market I am having a hard time gauging a reasonable offer. $34-35 a good price? Lower? Going to the selling sites I don't see many 04-05 x-2's and the ones that are there have 300+ hours and going for $35 or more. Makes it seem like this one isn't priced too bad. With that being said, I certainly don't want to pay any more than I have to. Thoughts??
Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
TT Newbie

These are the boats I am coming up with in my search:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35564
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...raft-X2-270381
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...517760662.html
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/3486374868.html
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
it the one you like in Kansas. if it is has he sent you any interior pics.

the one in okc needs new skins by looking at the pictures. you are correct there are not many 05's for sale.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM
TT Newbie

Yes, the Kansas one is the boat I am interested in. I have not seen up close interior shots yet. I would have him send some before I made the trip down. He says they are in perfect condition.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
That low of hrs could be a minor deterrant, but if it was maintained and stored properly it's really a non issue. If it was a '95 with 100hrs I'd say you run the risk of seals, etc being dried up, maybe developing leaks, but not an 05. Besides it's a Chevy 350 with a simple gear box. Not much to crap out on it other than the fuel pump which is a known problem and a cheap fix if your at all handy.
It would be very preferrable to water test, maybe a power plant lake that's open within driving distance, river?
Personally I'd use the no water test as a bargaining chip since if it's as pristine as it should be there won't be much to pick apart for hagling purposes. Just make sure you test everything, engine, ballast, put it in gear, etc. If at all worried it may have hit something, a quick check of the prop shaft with a dial indicator will tell you.
It's winter time, go for a great deal on it. If it doesn't pan out there will be 10x more boats for sale in a couple months.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by radchad3 View Post
Yes, the Kansas one is the boat I am interested in. I have not seen up close interior shots yet. I would have him send some before I made the trip down. He says they are in perfect condition.
If it's near KC I know there's an open lake around. A buddy bought a 'Bu mid winter over there a couple years ago. Lakes were frozen but he found a spot to run it by a power plant.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Thread Jack ON - does anyone get a little irritated when a guy is posting pictures of his boat that he is trying to sell and the boat is 5 years old (for example) but the pictures are clearly from the day he picked it up at the dealership 5 years ago? No license plate on the trailer? No registration numbers on the boat? Not a scratch or stain to be found? At least post some updated pictures if you expect a guy to drive a few hours (or fly) to take a look. Thread Jack OFF.

The Kansas boat looks MINT but I would ask for some updated pictures (like the end of last season). Also check to see what type of ballast are in the boat (if any) as sometime in 2005 or 2006, MC was advertising a stripped down boat with minimal features(no ballast, no racks, no tower speakers, etc.) for $39,999. I am NOT saying this is that boat (I dont think it is because it has racks on the tower) but I would get a full detailed list of exactly what is on the boat and post it up so people can comment.

If those pictures of the Kansas boat are from last season then that is tremendous as it looks mint. I still think a 2005 X2 well optioned in good shape should sell in the $28K-$32K range but maybe they have gone up in value.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
bobx1, that switch was in 06 when the newer pickle fork x2 came out. it was called a x1. i agree the boat looks clean just get some updated pictures.

i don't know about kansas laws but in oklahoma we do not tag boat trailers.