Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 06-11-2013, 07:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x2 2006 315 hp
Painting Fiberglass

I had to repair some cracks in the swim platform of my boat (X2 06") as well as to remove glue from from the old mat. Three things had happened; I went through the gelcoat in some of the surfaces, busted some of the round corners of the mat indent and got bubbles on the second coat of rustoleum spray paint. Any advise where to go from here?

I bough gellcoat Ultra ISO/NPG White gelcoat; it is relatively thin to use it as filler, I'm wondering whether I should try to roll it as paint and sand/polish it after?

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Skipper

I suggest that you sand the areas to be repaired. Create a contour that will hold a thin layer of gelcote about 1/16" thick. Mix the gelcote with aerosil-cabosil 50/50 to turn it into a paste. Then apply the gelcote with as little overage as possible.

When cured wet sand with 400 until the repair is just about level. Next wet sand with 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500. Finally buff it out with a good compound like 3M Finesse it III and then wax and buff.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x2 2006 315 hp
I already repaired the fiberglass, scuffed the sheen from gel coat and spray painted to the whole thing. Where do I go from there?
BTW, whats aerosil/cabosil and where do you buy it?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Skipper

What I am suggesting is start over...spray paint is not the best choice for your repair.

You can find the AC at www.spectrumcolors.com or www.westmarine.com and a number of other retailers.