Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-13-2005, 08:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '89 TriStar 190
Taking on water!!

I have searched for this and found a couple threads about it. My boat is taking on an inordinate amount of water. I have read that it could be the shaft packing. Put it this way... I have about 4 inches of water in my bilge overnight! I will be taking the boat out of the water for the season tonight. Anything else that I should look for? And can anyone give an explination on how to repack the shaft?

Thanks guys and gals!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 prostar 190
There are only a few holes in your boat that can be the problem. The packing is probably the best bet. Check that, the exhaust, intake, and hoses. Best to get a flashlight, and try to check while it is sitting in the water if you can.

I used to have an '89 red and white tristar 190. Its a nice boat.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:28 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
I have searched for this and found a couple threads about it. My boat is taking on an inordinate amount of water. I have read that it could be the shaft packing. Put it this way... I have about 4 inches of water in my bilge overnight! I will be taking the boat out of the water for the season tonight. Anything else that I should look for? And can anyone give an explination on how to repack the shaft?

Thanks guys and gals!
I had that happen - being new to inboards, I assumed it was the shaft packing, but it turned out to be the rudder. When I pointed a flashlight in the bilge with the boat in the water, I could actually see water coming in. Dealer fixed it at the 10 hour check.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:35 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will check with a flashlight when I get home tonight. I know it's not the fresh water intake. I have watched that fitting and I have seen nothing. It is a possiblity that it could be a muffler. The boat has gotten a little louder these past couple of weeks. My only question is if it is a muffler, how could that cause the boat to fill up just sitting there? If indeed it is the rudder... what is the fix? Just tightening down the rudder plate? Also, since the boat will be out of the water I would still like to repack the shaft. Any pointers?
Old 09-13-2005, 10:14 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If it's not the shaft or the rudder, I'd check the muffler. Happened on my father-in-law's boat. Pull up the floor behind the motorbox and check the mufflers for cracks, especially where they connect to the hoses. His boat would take on a ton of water until we fixed this.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 190,LQ9,SSrubrails,exhausts, Clararion stereo,depth finder, MasterCraft Cruise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will check with a flashlight when I get home tonight. I know it's not the fresh water intake. I have watched that fitting and I have seen nothing. It is a possiblity that it could be a muffler. The boat has gotten a little louder these past couple of weeks. My only question is if it is a muffler, how could that cause the boat to fill up just sitting there? If indeed it is the rudder... what is the fix? Just tightening down the rudder plate? Also, since the boat will be out of the water I would still like to repack the shaft. Any pointers?
You should also check your mufflers with a flash light while in the water. I had a crack in one of mine and you could see it trickling in while the boat was in the water.
2005 Prostar 190, LQ9 engine, Clarion stereo/cd, 4speakers, stainless steel rub rail and bow trim cap,MasterCraft Cruise, depth finder, teakswim platform with transom saver, stainless steel exhaust outlets
Old 09-13-2005, 10:52 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks guys... I will check all of these. Thanks for the great pointers! How much will new mufflers set me back? And will I still get the same rich sound? I like the sound of my boat and would hate to lose that rumble.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:00 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I had a simular problem once.
My mufflers are fiberglass. I patched them with fiberglass and they are holding up fine.
I think I did that repair close to 20 years ago.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:23 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Yeah, my father-in-law just slapped some marine bondo over the crack, which was right at the lip that fits inside the exhaust hose (wasn't allowing a good seal and tightening it just made it worse). Hasn't leaked in the couple of years since the repair.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:31 AM
MC Devotee

So the mufflers are encased in fiberglass?